DOSBox Icon

Developer's Forum, for discussion of bugs, code, and other developmental aspects of DOSBox.

Re: DOSBox Icon

Postby rfnagel » 2011-5-21 @ 00:58

My own humble little contribution :) 32x32, 16-colors (Windows 16-color palette), white is transparent in the actual icon included in the ZIP file.

Also, a little joke animated GIF... I was simply dying to post this somewhere LOL! :)
Attachments
DR_DOS.gif
DR_DOS.gif (2.05 KiB) Viewed 9468 times
DOSBox_Icon.gif
DOSBox_Icon.gif (265 Bytes) Viewed 9471 times
DOSBox_Icon.zip
(816 Bytes) Downloaded 801 times
Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net
rfnagel
Oldbie

Postby rolloLG » 2018-6-10 @ 08:55

@VileRancour
Very nice icons! :)
rolloLG

Postby SieBoi » 2019-1-17 @ 22:47

Soooo... Am i late for the competition :pppp

Regardless of how late i am (which is 14 years :p) i made these just for fun, so if you wanna try something different instead of default these might be an option.
Though as you can easily see i am no expert at logo making nor pixel art and i actually share this more for an actual professional to see and make better version than mine, so it could be useable.

I entirely make it in paint and its not an .ico file however if you want to use one of it i could fix it and make it into an .ico (though i don't really remember how we did that :p)

Here are the boys:

Alternative colors (using modern windows'es 16 base colors)

And this is the workspace :p

Also at the bottom parts of the workspace you can see there is a section with a light blue color, that idea was cool however i am not talented enough to do that but it would be lovely.
Have fun!
SieBoi

Postby red_avatar » 2019-1-30 @ 14:22

It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and below the DOSBOX version

Retro game fanatic.
IBM PS1 386SX25 - 4MB - 85MB HD
IBM Aptiva 486SX33 - 8MB - 270MB - SB16
IBM PC350 P233MMX - 64MB - 20GB - AWE64 - Voodoo2
PIII600 - 320MB - 120GB - SB Live! - GF4 Ti 4200
i5-2500k - 3GB - 1TB - SB Audigy 2 - HD 4870
red_avatar
Oldbie

Postby SieBoi » 2019-2-01 @ 01:14

red_avatar wrote:It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and below the DOSBOX version

Can you also do more "authentic" version of this one :p? I really like this one however i am no pro at pixel art.. in fact i am no pro at any form of digital art :p So id be extremely glad if someone else who knows what they are doing touches it.
SieBoi

Postby red_avatar » 2019-2-01 @ 11:33

SieBoi wrote:
red_avatar wrote:It's not a bad idea - here's a slightly more "authentic" version - top is original icon I remade (without the dithering) and below the DOSBOX version

Can you also do more "authentic" version of this one :p? I really like this one however i am no pro at pixel art.. in fact i am no pro at any form of digital art :p So id be extremely glad if someone else who knows what they are doing touches it.

I looked at that one as well but the DOS design works because the letters loops around eachother. An X can't possible loop and the B has a much smaller hole. The easiest way to fix it, is to just not loop and have the letters B and X overlap the O in the middle. I could try and see if it looks authentic enough like that.
Retro game fanatic.
red_avatar
Oldbie

Postby SieBoi » 2019-2-01 @ 20:58

red_avatar wrote:
SieBoi wrote:

I looked at that one as well but the DOS design works because the letters loops around eachother. An X can't possible loop and the B has a much smaller hole. The easiest way to fix it, is to just not loop and have the letters B and X overlap the O in the middle. I could try and see if it looks authentic enough like that.

Well i struggled with B too but cant X do this around O? But yeah, why not i would love to see the non looping version as well.
SieBoi

Postby red_avatar » 2019-2-02 @ 20:39

Well you got to respect the distance of the letters - by pushing the X so into the O, the distance with the B would look wrong. Even spacing of the center of the letters is important for balance. I'll see if I can make a good looking logo next week.
Retro game fanatic.
red_avatar
Oldbie

Postby SieBoi » 2019-2-02 @ 22:10

red_avatar wrote:Well you got to respect the distance of the letters - by pushing the X so into the O, the distance with the B would look wrong. Even spacing of the center of the letters is important for balance. I'll see if I can make a good looking logo next week.

Thank you very much, i'll be waiting.

edit: just came to my mind but, how about stretching O a little bit?
SieBoi

Postby Robo4900 » 2019-2-07 @ 17:52

Surely, if you want to do an edit of the old MS-DOS logo, it should be something like this...

Inspired by the current logo, it's got the crossing of B and X above and below the O of DOS, but I slightly offset them.
I think it needs work -- the weird sizing and offset do look kinda ugly, and arguably it's a bit busy -- but... Thought you might enjoy the concept. :)

Here it is without the offset:

... Does anyone else see this as reading as "DOGBOX"? :lol:
Robo4900

Postby SieBoi » 2019-2-07 @ 20:14

Robo4900 wrote:Surely, if you want to do an edit of the old MS-DOS logo, it should be something like this...

Inspired by the current logo, it's got the crossing of B and X above and below the O of DOS, but I slightly offset them.
I think it needs work -- the weird sizing and offset do look kinda ugly, and arguably it's a bit busy -- but... Thought you might enjoy the concept. :)

Here it is without the offset:

... Does anyone else see this as reading as "DOGBOX"? :lol:

I also see the dogbox tbh :p especially on the little versions. I think the reason of that is the O got a bit too squished so S gots a little weird and gets readen as G.
You may also try what eobet did back in 2005 with the ms dos logo pixelated aesthetic instead of making the B and X gray and small.

as a reference: Image
(ofc this would make a terrible logo as how it is right now but if you could find a way around this it might be cool)
(also you may want to squish X and B to O somehow or seperate D O S somehow to make the logo square again :p)
SieBoi

Postby leileilol » 2019-2-14 @ 16:05

too clumsy, too dangerous.
Voodoo2s aren't 100mhz stock
Geforce256 isn't released as a beta on New Years '99 under the Quadro brand
DOS gaming isn't a bilinear 320x200 16:10
DOS PCs aren't better than the Macintosh
DOSBox is not for running Windows 9x
SGL != Glide
leileilol
l33t++

Postby SieBoi » 2019-2-15 @ 00:21

leileilol wrote:too clumsy, too dangerous.

I beg your pardon?
SieBoi

Postby Robo4900 » 2019-2-15 @ 01:20

I think the point is that my mockup was a bad idea, and eobet's is also somewhat questionable.

To be honest, I'm not overly pleased with my result... Clumsy sounds like a good descriptor.

Eobet's is, I would say, a lot closer to the kind of thing this idea would have to resemble, but I'm not sure this really is a direction worth going. I don't think you could get it down small enough while still looking both good, and recognisably similar to the old MS-DOS logo.
Could try keeping the colour scheme of the DOS letters if you want to go for a variation on the cross design as used in the current icon that tries to have a general look/feel more similar to the old MS-DOS logo, but keeping them intertwined and at full size isn't going to work.

Though I must say, I am growing on this one. If a more MS-DOS logo-esque one was wanted, this is probably the way to do it.
Having said that, I'm not a big fan of the dithering in the purple, if I'm totally honest; the one red_avatar put up at a larger size is undithered, and looks nicer for it, if you ask me. :)
The one you use as your avatar is nice, since it's stacked like the old MS-DOS logo, but I don't think BOX intertwines as well as DOS does, so this is probably the best way for that approach.
Robo4900

Previous

Return to DOSBox Development