User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Welcome back 😉
See you in ten? 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 321 of 333, by Duendeinexistente

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Was bored enough to give this a twirl before bed. Tried to keep to old toylike aesthetics because let's be serious, this is for games. Maybe could've used less colors to make it easier to recognize at a glance?

dosbox icon.png
Filename
dosbox icon.png
File size
1.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

EDIT: On further thought, let's get some good glossiness and some black edges.

dosbox icon2.png
Filename
dosbox icon2.png
File size
1.62 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Reply 322 of 333, by mkruer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its been a long time posting to this Site... 13 Years? Anyway I thought I would post My idea for a newer DOSBOX icon. It is a more refined version of the DOSBOX in the MS-DOS 6.0 Style logo done above. I made the text work for BOX, but its a bit scrunched to get the over/under lapping to look, If you like it I might fidget a bit and see if I can pull it a part to keep the over under. I am also posting the Paint.Net file so others can play. Anyone should be able to squish and stretch and recolor the image. If at some point the icon is updated, I can look into making as SVG version.

DOSBOX.png
Filename
DOSBOX.png
File size
5.94 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBOX.7z
    File size
    11.82 KiB
    Downloads
    222 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 323 of 333, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Generally looks nice, but the O of BOX seems not centered.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 324 of 333, by mkruer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The issue is that X really doesn't allow it to fit through the O, it will either be fully on top or under the O, to offset this the O and X need to be fudged closer. Using the same source I created an oblate O this give the X more space to go though the O but the O is still offset to the right

DOSBOX2.png
Filename
DOSBOX2.png
File size
2.13 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

This one has the letters a bit more scrunched together to make the O more centered

DOSBOX3.png
Filename
DOSBOX3.png
File size
5.32 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by mkruer on 2020-04-13, 20:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 325 of 333, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkruer wrote on 2020-04-13, 20:05:

The issue is that X really doesn't allow it to fit through the O, it will either be fully on top or under the O, to offset this the O and X need to be fudged closer. Using the same source I created an oblate O this give the X more space to go though the O but the O is still offset to the right

DOSBOX2.png

I think it would be better the opposite way like it was done by this user:
Re: DOSBox Icon

"Design isn't just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works."
JOBS, Steve.
READ: Right to Repair sucks and is illegal!

Reply 326 of 333, by mkruer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-04-13, 20:21:
mkruer wrote on 2020-04-13, 20:05:

DOSBOX2.png

I think it would be better the opposite way like it was done by this user:
Re: DOSBox Icon

Can you clarify? X behind? X Ontop, Intersecting Fonts?

Reply 327 of 333, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's pretty simple: An inverted variation of the original MS-DOS logo, with the grey words ("BOX") below instead of on top. DOS should get the coloured words instead, because it's the main product here, because obviously DOS stands for "Disk Operating System". MS (Micro$oft) is the secondary thing here, the focus is on DOS.

Sometimes the old MS-DOS logo was even used without the MS pairing, just DOS coloured. That's just basic product identity building practices.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 328 of 333, by mkruer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Bruninho wrote on 2020-04-13, 21:04:

That's pretty simple: An inverted variation of the original MS-DOS logo, with the grey words ("BOX") below instead of on top. DOS should get the coloured words instead, because it's the main product here, because obviously DOS stands for "Disk Operating System". MS (Micro$oft) is the secondary thing here, the focus is on DOS.

Sometimes the old MS-DOS logo was even used without the MS pairing, just DOS coloured. That's just basic product identity building practices.

🤣 I looked the wrong Icon, for some reason I was looking at SieBoi Post. Yeah that icon would work as well, I was just looking at keeping the coloring scheme in the same place... If only this was called BOXDOS.

Reply 329 of 333, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't matter, as long as you keep the word BOX below DOS, it's "DOSbox". Just don't put it on top.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 330 of 333, by JoeBlacksilver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it's not very retro or whatever. I was just making a DosBox icon for myself to go with the other sleek modern icons on my OS. Based on the original logo.

Attachments

• Dos Box Icon 3.png
    Filename
    Dos Box Icon 3.png
    File size
    15.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Dos Box Icon 2.png
    Filename
    Dos Box Icon 2.png
    File size
    15.23 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Dos Box Icon1.png
    Filename
    Dos Box Icon1.png
    File size
    11.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 331 of 333, by Bruninho

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Black one does look great, might be even better without the red background or a version with the original MS-DOS colors; the 3D feel looks good.

When I have some time I might try to do a version for macOS Big Sur... the iOS icon look has never got me anyway, they are all the same. Current icons resembling real stuff on both macOS and Windows are better.

JOBS, Steve.

Reply 332 of 333, by JoeBlacksilver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure if someone has made a DOSBox Icon like this yet. Can't find something like this on Google Images. Always wanted this icon for myself though. So I made it. Not the most original idea, but a timeless one I hope. (Actually, not sure if it's infringing copyright? Is that why no one has made something like this? Not that I'm going to make any profit from it at all.)

Attachments

• MS DOS BOX.png
    Filename
    MS DOS BOX.png
    File size
    1.48 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain