VOGONS

First post, by Agathosdaimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have noticed something recently installing some games in dosbox, which perhaps has always come up but i havent noticed it before: when installing SVGA Air Warrior v1.13 today (outside of dosbox) during the install a message comes up :

"The CONFIG.SYS file was not found on the install drive, A copy has been automatically created on drive Z"

how and why is this happening? i was not aware the installation would even be aware of a drive Z, as i just mount only a drive C (my games folder) and a drive D (cdrom drive), where exactly is drive Z and why is there not a config.sys file found, is this typical?

i was thinking maybe this is location of the dosbox.exe program but i found no config.sys file there. Am i supposed to have a config.sys file present on my mounted drive?

Reply 1 of 1, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Agathosdaimon wrote on 2021-10-16, 07:56:

how and why is this happening? i was not aware the installation would even be aware of a drive Z, as i just mount only a drive C (my games folder) and a drive D (cdrom drive), where exactly is drive Z and why is there not a config.sys file found, is this typical?

Very likely due to DOSBox not needing CONFIG.SYS like real DOS. Drive Z within DOSBox contains useful utilities such as mounting physical folders, CD and floppy images as virtual drives.

i was thinking maybe this is location of the dosbox.exe program but i found no config.sys file there. Am i supposed to have a config.sys file present on my mounted drive?

Try creating a dummy CONFIG.SYS within the mounted C drive to see if that solves it or not.

Anyway if the game works fine then you shouldn't worry about this.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS