Sound Driver Pack

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 66, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Akuma wrote on 2022-05-04, 13:43:
llm wrote on 2022-05-01, 09:10:

is the latest version of such a driver always the best for dosbox or are there games that need specific versions?

im thinking about reversing some of the drivers and looking for the right versions when used with dosbox

IF it works, yes, but there lays the problem, I always start with SB1.0 and work my way up.

what does "it works" mean - just sounds or good sounds (i don't know if there are even difference between the versions)

and the good version-nr is then game related?

Reply 61 of 66, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
llm wrote on 2022-05-04, 15:00:
Akuma wrote on 2022-05-04, 13:43:
llm wrote on 2022-05-01, 09:10:

is the latest version of such a driver always the best for dosbox or are there games that need specific versions?

im thinking about reversing some of the drivers and looking for the right versions when used with dosbox

IF it works, yes, but there lays the problem, I always start with SB1.0 and work my way up.

what does "it works" mean - just sounds or good sounds (i don't know if there are even difference between the versions)

and the good version-nr is then game related?

If it produces sound that sounds right.
But if its off because it plays distorted or too fast, thats an issue.

Afaict a "good-version" is the latest release of a version. I'd rather have a 1.20 than a 1.01
1.x seems to work with most games I tested, but ymmv

Reply 63 of 66, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the update!

I would also like to add this very obscure fixed shooter game that requires CT-VOICE.DRV for sound effects: Galaga '94 (1994) by APSS Austria (Arnold Pichler). It is based on the real Galaga game by Namco.

There is an instruction on how to use a different CT-VOICE.DRV driver in SOUND.TXT file, which also mentions CTV16.DRV for the SB16 but that's not the case here. The one included in the game is already renamed to FX_SB.DRV and is for the SB2.0.

Reply 65 of 66, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

TextTris by Acumen Software (1992): Requires both CT-VOICE.DRV and SBFMDRV.COM when configuring the game to use Sound Blaster for music and sound effects.

Additional information can be found in SBUSERS.TXT file. It comes with SBFMDRV.COM version 1.32 and three renamed CT-VOICE drivers which are SB15.CTV, SB20.CTV and SBPRO.CTV.

Funny that the site mentions that the sound doesn't work in DOSBox but it appears that they didn't RTFM.