VOGONS

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any way to get Riddle of Master Lu to output MIDI through MPU-401? The game only allows FM to be selected. It does use MIDI for music, using the HMI drivers to play general midi through OPL, but for some reason, there's no way to select proper MPU midi output.

If it's possible to edit the RIDDLE.CFG file manually, but I can't find any information of the HMI-specific values needed for MPU output.

EDIT: SOLVED

You know how sometimes you post a question to a seemingly impossible problem, and then two minutes later you think of a solution? Well, that's what happened again 😁

So I thought maybe I could copy the "HMI*.386" files from another game, and then look up the values in that game's ini/cfg files. So I did that with the DOS version of Spycraft. Copied over the files, configured Spycraft itself to use "Roland Sound Canvas", which gave away the ID and strings for it in SETSOUND.CFG: a001 and "Roland Sound Canvas".

I edited the MIDI entries of RIDDLE.CFG to look like this:

MIDI_CARD=a001
MIDI_CARD_NAME=Roland Sound Canvas
MIDI_TYPE=a001
MIDI_TYPE_NAME=General MIDI
MIDI_PORT=330

And that makes the game output MIDI to MPU-401. Do not run SETUP.EXE again after that, as it might override these settings again.

It does sound great so far (using SCVA here), so why the developers of the game force FM OPL in SETUP.EXE is a mystery.

Reply 1 of 2, by Nilex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's pretty clever, you just solved the 1st riddle. It still amazes how such old games lend themselves for creative duck-tape solutions decades past their time. And I commend you adding a detailed solution summary. Who knows to whom and when it will come in handy. Master Lu approves.

Reply 2 of 2, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Turns out music was an afterthought in this game. They only play MIDI music in some rare instances and in some others it's digital music encoded in the video cutscenes. The majority of the game has no music. I guess they ran out of time or budget.