VOGONS

First post, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,
After playing around with newer catalyst driver (12.8 ) I managed to get back to pixel perfect in DOSBox ECE. It looks like every game runs as it should. Except scrolling - in pinball fantasies it is extremely obvious... It's a pain. I can't get rid of that damn tearing when a table scrolls up and down. I set double buffer true. It looks like this is an OpenGL problem - the tearing does not appear with surface or ddraw. But when using these output methods I don't have pixel perfect anymore.

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 1 of 4, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Vsync is disabled for OpenGL output since it causes issues when games try to output frames at 70Hz and the display only supports up to 60Hz.
Pinball games are particularly susceptible to this because (unlike most games) they do actually generate 70 unique frames a second without any duplication.

Reply 2 of 4, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well then the best way for me at the moment is to get back to previous ATI driver version. In previous version GPU scaling works perfectly - with catalyst 12 it doesn't. Don't know why.

Or is there any chance to get GPU scaling as it was with older drivers working with newer catalyst versions?

Ryzen 5 2600X - ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming - 32GB RAM - Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Reply 3 of 4, by Lazar81

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem solved... It was just easy... In the taskbar there are settings for vertical sync - setting them to always on solved the problem with opengl ... Pinball fantasies tables now scrolling smooth

Reply 4 of 4, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On my system I got the best results with output=surface and I have also found that in the nvidia control panel, that the low latency setting of "ultra" can effect it to. "On" rather than "ultra" seems to work just fine.

Very occasional screen tearing can still happen, I believe, although its hard to know what is correct emulation behavior and what is actually screen tearing. They can sometimes look similar.