VOGONS

First post, by scaryogre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have installed Ultima 8 Pagan successfully. The game seems to run fine full-screen. However, when in a box the sound-effects and/or music clip (stop and start) every 2-3 seconds. Any idea what may cause this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

😀

Reply 2 of 13, by scaryogre

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Edit: I set CPU cycles to 20000, core to Dynamic, frame skip to 3 and using D-Fend. The clipping is still there, but much less. Is there a way to further tweak this? If so, what would be most helpful? Less cycles, more skip?

I have an FX-53 (i.e. NON-dual core processor). How many cycles should I be using?

Also, I noticed with the above settings I made it as far as the opening execution sequence and then the game crashed. Is there a way to debug the crashes?

Thanks for the help!

Reply 3 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your not using a CVS build of DosBox then do so:

Grab it from my signature.

Use either ykhwong's or gulikoza's.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
scaryogre wrote:

I have an FX-53 (i.e. NON-dual core processor). How many cycles should I be using?

I use 34000, Dynamic CPU, soundblaster sound effects and Sound Canvas (sounds much better) music. The game runs smoothly and no stutters at all on my FX-53.

Reply 5 of 13, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does raising the Cycle value this high is only effective when Dynamic core is enabled? I find that about 8000 Cycles is the fastest I can go, using mostly the normal core, beyond this point it starts to fall back to slow-motion.

Reply 6 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adventur wrote:

Does raising the Cycle value this high is only effective when Dynamic core is enabled? I find that about 8000 Cycles is the fastest I can go, using mostly the normal core, beyond this point it starts to fall back to slow-motion.

Cycles depend on your CPU speed. If you go over your limit you'll get worse performance instead of going faster. You should also use the dynamic core if you want higher cycles.

Reply 7 of 13, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I tried it with FPS'es and I have to admit it's much more authentic in terms of scrolling, that is how I remembered Doom & such. The scaling becomes extremely smooth, it's impressive, much better than using the normal core at 8000. What about the other "normal" & "simple" do they have a specific use/rate where they can prove useful?

Reply 8 of 13, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Cores and cycles are not dependent on each others. Dynamic core is fastest, that's all. The other cores are meant for situations when dynamic doesn't work (it can't run some games). You should never need anything else than dynamic and normal on an x86 box.

Cycles, on the other hand, are just the speed your games should run at. The maximum value you should use is simply the value that works best for you. Different cores use different amounts of CPU power. You will have to find out the optimum value yourself.

Reply 11 of 13, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
adventur wrote:

I understand I noticed that 3d hi-res cutscenes play much much better using dynamic than normal but on the other hand dynamic is very slow in other areas like non-action games.

Not really. I don't use normal core unless the game is unstable, everything else I run with dynamic.

Maybe you are giving the game more cycles than it needs? 😦