VOGONS

First post, by user5124

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just curious to know if anyone could estimate? I'm wanting to get a machine that can handle blood 1, and this seems to be about the most I can afford at the moment.

Should I upgrade now or wait?

Reply 1 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Define sufficient?

Blood plays fine on most PC's in DosBox @320x240 or at resolutions below 640x480.

I assume you want 640x480+ with good sound quality as well? Why not just play it in 32bit Windows XP NTVDM?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 10, by user5124

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have an athlon xp 3200 with radeon 9800 at the moment and the performance is poor. A real slideshow. That's at 320x200 with all manner of experimentation using the cpu cycle adjustments and dynamic core.

I am also running win2k.

Reply 4 of 10, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

running blood 1 with VDMS is not realy a good solution. i had some bad slowdowns with the second episode (after the train crashes).

ok i dont know if this helps, but blood 1 is playable on my Athlon FX 55 @ 2800 MHz using 320x400 with highest sound settings. (dosbox 0.65, core=dynamic, cycle=auto) 😉

Last edited by SysGOD on 2006-07-31, 19:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 10, by user5124

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That system is a fair amount more powerful than the one I plan to get.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but it's still a totally unplayable slideshow. Even with sound off, it's not something I'd play due to the framerate being so low.

I'll just get the new system and see how I go.

Reply 6 of 10, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yup, please report back when you have your new CPU. these high sound settings are not realy necesssary and eats much CPU power.
iam very interested on seeing how dualcore CPUs handle such games with dosbox.

Reply 7 of 10, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i was under the impression that this emulator only uses 1 core at any time.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 10 of 10, by user5124

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The new system runs the game far, far FAR better than before. Full screen at what appears to be 15fps ?

That's a massive improvement, anyway. I suspect that in 4-5 years I'll be able to run it at 60fps and more..(with whatever's out at that time)

Thanks everyone!