VOGONS

First post, by puki69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble runnig privateer. I tried the remake and while it's not bad and I appreciate all the work these guys did; I still prefere the original.
Anyway to my problem
My version is the six floppy's , the 3 disk speeech pack; and though I haven't loaded them yet the riteous fire disks.

I set ems to false, sound devices to what has been advised here (220,7 1)
The game loads ; sound is good. I can do anything or go anywhere. I can launch, fight, get missions enter anywhere on the concourse but when I go into the ship dealer's place I can't get out. Sometimes I can go into the upgrades area but usually the screen flashes a bunch of vertical colored lines and then freezes. (same with commodies sometimes)

Has anyone seen this before? If not I probably have a bad .tre file. I'm not sure which one defines the ship dealer and bases but if my problem is a bad file, if someone could email a copy ...?
I would certinally appreciate it.

Reply 1 of 11, by HoustonDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately, the Wing Commander games all were a little wonky with their memory management, which sometimes causes problems under DOSBOX. There are a few things for Privateer to work properly, though:

1) Make sure EMS=FALSE in your config file
2) Type "loadfix -65" prior to running the game (The -65 is optional and variable, but most have the best luck with that value.)
3) Set your CPU cycle speed to around the 6500 range.

This should allow the game to run normally.

Reply 4 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well the original poster had ems=false, which is only needed for older
dosbox versions. Maybe the problem is already gone if he uses a newer
version or (if he already IS using the 0.65) setting ems=true might
result in different behaviour of the problem he mentioned.

loadfix is always a good option as the wingcommander series are known
to have bugs with as much conventional memory available as dosbox provides.

Reply 5 of 11, by puki69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the responses.

I do have probably the oldest version since it came on floppies. I have tried with and without sound.

I am using dosbox 0.65

I have tried ems=false , ems=true, added a line under autoexec ems=ram 4096, ems=false, ems=ram

tried cycles at 3000,6500,20000 etc

tried loadfix -65 , -128 , -32

tried memsize 8 ,16,24

Still have the same problem: I can enter the ship dealer, sometimes get into upgrades, once in a while even get back to the concorse but 99% it crashes and I can only abort to get out. This also happen usually in commodies. Everything else works( combat,missions,landing, guilds etc) and that is why I'm thinking bad file

Reply 7 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I hope the floppy content is ok. Hard to test this (installers just copy files
and mostly don't perform any crc/validity check).

You could try to find patches/updates to the game, maybe that helps.

Reply 9 of 11, by puki69

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had a folder since 1997 with all the saves and my alterted objects.tre and unaltered objects.tre files( I just keep saving it with every new computer). I had the whole program folder zipped onto the 6 floppies but when I tried unzipping; one file had CRC errors. As it happened it was the objects.tre file. So I used the original file I had saved.

Anyway I also tried to use one of my old saved files and had the same results.

I will try a fresh install of Privateer, I have tried de-installing doxbox 0.65 and re-installing.

I am using a kyro II video card on my desktop and whatever is native to a Dell D600. I have ordered a ATI radeon 9700 and have bought a copy of privateer on CD.

If anyone has anymore suggestions on what I might do , I would love it.
If not, I'll report what happens after I get the above two items

The things we do just to once again play this most wondereous game
PRIVATEER!

Reply 10 of 11, by HoustonDragon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've had to replace several old diskette games myself, due to CRC and disk read problems. I know the CD version works beautifully under 0.65, plus you'll get the speech pack with it, so at least you'll get to enjoy it soon. =)

Reply 11 of 11, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well that explains - you're telling me you're using files that have been changed a million time without trying a fresh install. No wonder some things stop working.

ALWAYS use a fresh install before commenting on whether or not a game works. We can't possibly anticipate any bugs in a game itself that cause it to not run well.