VOGONS

Netscape under DOSBox?

Topic actions

First post, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know, I know, this is a game emulator, but I was wondering, since installing Windows 3.X is possible, if that version of Netscape I located on an old CD (v4.08 for Windows 3.1) could work under DOSBox. My guess is that it should work, although first I need to enable internet access under DOSBox and Windows 3.X. How can I do that? Do I need any particular drivers or Windows 3.1 has them already?

Reply 2 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Aw, forget it. Just checked my favourite frontend and seems that DOSBox only supports the IPX network protocol. This means that even if I install winsock, the TCP/IP network protocol for Windows 3.X it won't work.

Reply 3 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The modem emulation uses TCP. Theoretically it could work if there is something that accepts PPP connections on a TCP port.

1+1=10

Reply 4 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mmm... Is there any frontend out there that allows to see / change the modem configuration? I'm a dummy when it comes to command line stuff, and I can't see those settings in DBGL or D-Fend.

Reply 6 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks.

Reply 8 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

No that's in the betatesters forum

1+1=10

Reply 10 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No success 🙄

Step 1: Creating a profile with modem on, OK

Step 2: Installing Windows 3.11 + PCNET Family driver for Windows 3.X + Microsoft TCP / IP protocol, OK

Step 3: Installing Netscape Suite v4.08, OK

Step 4: Trying to configure TCP / IP from values obtained from IPCONFIG /ALL, Not sure if OK. Concepts are not exact over the years, and I may be filling the wrong values there.

Step 5: Creating a BAT including the NET START command followed by WIN.COM, OK.

Step 6: Restart Windows 3.11, Windows returns network error ( depressed: ), Netscape initialization fails miserably, I go for a coffee.

Reply 11 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> Installing Windows 3.11 + PCNET Family driver
Why would you think dosbox emulates such hardware? I was talking about a serial PPP connection AND you have to find the thing that PPP can connect to.

> Windows returns network error
The Windows network stuff doesn't work in dosbox DOS, booting from an image may work around this.

1+1=10

Reply 12 of 13, by Neville

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ouch. 😵

I got those drivers from another web, they said it worked on virtual machines, so I though I should give it a try.

Anyway, I think I'm letting this as it is now (miserable failure), mainly because I'm a dummy when it comes to network real computers as well, and also because I just messed the D.O.G. profile and now i can't even run Windows 3.11.

Case dismissed.