VOGONS

First post, by pottzman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,
my first post here, so i'll try to be as precise as i can. According to this post Is the latest version of VDMSound 2.1.0? the code for vdmsound has been incorporated into dosbox, but i'm having problems with the sound on LSL6 "non talkie". When i run this in vdmsound 2.1.0 beta I can press "F4", "F6", "F8" & "F10" and here all the glorious digital sounds perfectly, as well as when you score points you here the girls voice "Oh YESSS!" yet when I run LSL6 in dosbox 0.70 and press the same keys or score points in the game all I get is a sound that is just nothing, as though the sound isnt working correctly. apart from the hdd setups and video config, the sound options are set to defaults in both dosbox and vdmsound. I really want to just use dosbox for everything but having this sound problem in one of my FAV games is really getting to me. does anyone no why this happens or what setting in dosbox I need to use to fix this problem? Has anyone else experienced this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

System specs if it helps
P4 3.0 Ghz
ATI 9800 pro graphics
Windows XP SP2
SB Audigy

ps. i always use the latest drivers! : )

Reply 1 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, Welcome to the forums.

What cycles are you using for DOSBox? Maybe the game needs low cycles to detect the presence of a SB card. How did you configure it for the game?

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 7, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have noticed that the sounds using SB16 in DOSBox with LSL6 (non-talkie) is rather sporadic at best. I've gotten it to work with SB for the digital sound once or twice, but haven't the foggiest idea how or why they worked at those times. After fighting with it for several days, I gave up and just use Gravis Ultrasound for the digital sound effects, and it works just great. One day I may sit down and work out all the details on how/why it does or doesn't work. But for now, I'm just sticking with Gravis.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 3 of 7, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Larry 6's sound driver doesn't really seem to work in sb16 mode, tries some 8bit dma transfers as i recall, can lower the sbtype in config file or use gravis

Reply 5 of 7, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it didn't even work my old machine, I recall always using Thunderbird for audio on LSL6, so try that as well...

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 6 of 7, by Wintermute

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

eL_PuSHeR is right: Many of the Sierra DOS games had trouble initializing the soundblaster driver. When your system is too fast, the game wouldn't recognize it and ergo you have no sound.

Try lowering the cycles before starting the game.