VOGONS

First post, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I notice DOSBox's game compatibility page for Darkseed says 100% supported:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … ID=255&letter=D

However this is not true. There are areas in the game where it fades to black and hangs. Maybe it failed to load a cutscene or something.

I understand that DOSBox development team don't have time to play through ALL games just to find & fix our bugs. How can the community help? Do we have to download the CVS and debug the games ourselves? Is there an easier way, such as debugged output during hangs so we can submit to DOSBox development team?

Please sign the Blood source code release petition

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Download official release.
Play the game
Report the problem.

If you have programming experience then download a CVS build with debug enabled and go at it.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 5, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice, I finally figured that the anonymous account password is "" (BLANK). Back in 1996 FTP sites usually specify that we use our email address as an anonymous account password, and some FTP sites were fussy that there's an @ symbol in it.

Anyway, I see we are recommended not to use Visual C++ 6.0. I guess Cygwin is out of the question too since there's problems compiling SDL under Cygwin. Hmm, time to use MinGW....

Does anyone know a good tutorial on creating MinGW or Visual Studio 7 projects for DOSBox?

Reply 4 of 5, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually played Darkseed all the way through a few months back all the way to end... I don't recall any problems with the game at all (though it was a localized version, probably 1.2 or something...)

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 5 of 5, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Silly me, it's because I been running TOS.exe or START.exe (Darkseed.exe) instead of DS.bat. DS.bat loads up smartdrv and I think it emulates the CD-ROM or something....