VOGONS

First post, by Hillsy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've been playing Magic Carpet 1 on dosbox version 0.70 and I seem to be having a problem. I am currently on level 14 or 15 of the original Magic Carpet. The problem is, sometimes, occasionally, the game will not let me fire my primary or secondary weapons. It seems fine most of the time, but occasionally it stops responding until I escape out of the game and have to restart the level. This is my fourth or fifth attempt on this level. At first I thought it was the genie on the level, but I think it is either a game issue or a dosbox problem. Does anyone know anything about this problem or have experienced it for themselves. Any help would be appreciated, as I am enjoying this game and it would be a pity not to play it.

configuration:

Windows XP SP2
Athlon64 Dual Core x2 4200+
2GB Memory
X800XL 256mb Graphic Card
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Magic Carpet is otherwise working fine..

Final Note: I know the genie steals mana, but I cannot fire when my power is at the max.

Reply 1 of 4, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could try the latest CVS build from AEP (don't have the URL ATM, search the forum for a link). I played through the game some time ago, and had very little problems. I didn't see the effect you're describing. I used the latest AEP CVS build (look for another recent thread about Magic Carpet to see the settings i have used).

You could also try to change the "priority=high,normal" line in dosbox.conf to "priority=normal,normal". With the default setting, i have experienced "hanging keys" on some demanding games with a high number of cycles.

Btw: i'm currently playing through MC2, and i'm impressed with the speed and stability. SVGA is a no-no with my slow machine (P4/2.6Ghz), but in VGA mode, the game runs beautifully, and has not crashed a single time yet, and i've played about 15 or so levels.

I just love the MC games. It's a pity there's no real successors to these games (some people say that "Sacrifice" by Shiny is a spiritual successor, but that's not the case IMHO - interesting game, but not much in common with the MC series).

Reply 2 of 4, by Hillsy_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks Addict for the reply. I will have a check on the forums. I did do a search for Magic Carpet References earlier...I am actually playing the Magic Carpet Plus Edition.

when I load Magic Carpet Plus it does not mention any cycles. It sets the game speed to -max- Then..I set the game to high resolution and run the game at 40-50 percent speed. It works fine in high res, and is a joy to play..up until now.

Does anyone know if having the internet on in the background upsets dosbox in anyway?

Yes, I recently had a go with Magic Carpet 2 too. Good game set with objectives.

My plan is...to play through magic carpet, then the hidden worlds and finally magic carpet 2...

The strange thing is I played through 8 levels straight with no problems and then it suddenly happened...

Anyway, will look into it further.

Reply 4 of 4, by Dood77

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I'm having the same problem as described above. Not only will it not allow me to fire any weapons at all, but no enemies ever fire weapons. It feels like some sort of game error, as I can get it to happen if I fire my weapon as fast as I can for a long period of time. It has also happened on a level where there might be a ton of those skeleton enemies firing their crossbows all at once. Usually I could restart the level and do it over again, careful not to let too many of the skeleton enemies spawn, but I got to a point where it seems impossible to win without this happening.

I also have an issue where if I look up the game runs faster, and if I look down the game runs much slower, but this is tolerable.