VOGONS

First post, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whenever I play Full Throttle, Sam and Max, Crusader: No Remorse, or Privateer the audio skips when the game has to access the CD. I suppose I could copy the entire contents of the CD over to the hard drive and then mount that as the CD, but I'd rather not do that. Is there a way to mount the CD in a more "less sound skippy" fashion or a config file setting I could tweak? I'm sorry if this has already been asked a bazillion times already. If it has, make this bazillion and one.

Reply 1 of 14, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh yeah, system specs...

Core 2 Extreme 6800 CPU
nVidia 680i motherboard
4GB PC6400 memory
nVidia GeForce 8800GTX video card
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi sound card
750GB Seagate 7200.10 drive
120GB Western Digital 1200JD drive
Windows Vista Home Premium x64 OS

In DOSBox .72 I use overlay output, full screen, normal3x scaling, and 64MB mem size. Everything else is default except for the Autoexec for the mounting and launching of the game.

Reply 2 of 14, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When playing DOS CD games in DOSBox, the best you can do is an ISO or a BIN/CUE image (if it has audio tracks), and mount it properly in DOSBox.

Since the speed while reading a CD image from the hard drive is MUCH faster than reading directly from the CD drive, your sound skipping problems will most likely dissapear. If they still continue, then play around with the cycles/core/output.

If you don't know how to mount, just check the README.TXT that comes with DOSBox, and you'll be surprised with the amount of cool info it's in there... 😉

Reply 3 of 14, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have no problems mounting the drives. I was just curious if others have found a solution to the skipping audio when DOSBox uses the CD. I suppose most get their games through other means that don't require a CD. Not me... http://www.gamespot.com/users/AdamK47/images I try to run the game as true to form as they were originally intended.

Reply 4 of 14, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PointyB wrote:

I have no problems mounting the drives.

Good for you! I was talking about mounting CD images, by the way...

PointyB wrote:

I was just curious if others have found a solution to the skipping audio when DOSBox uses the CD.

Others (including me) have found a pretty nice way to avoid the "skipping audio" while playing from the original CD, and that is to create an ISO or BIN/CUE image from your CD and get better performance plus not damaging your originals at the same time... If you prefer playing your games using your original CD's (and risking possible permanent damage due to overuse,etc), that's fine by me! It's your CD's at stake, not mine...

PointyB wrote:

I suppose most get their games through other means that don't require a CD. Not me...

Perhaps you should try actually reading my post...
I hope you are not trying to say that most of us are pirates/warez users/etc? 😒 Such accusations are not welcome here and that attitude won't get you very far.

In case you don't know, most of us are actually using our brain cells. You should too... Most of us don't use the original CD's to play a game due to risk of damage (specially with old DOS games), performance increase and also because it's far more practical than constantly opening CD/DVD drive each time I want to play a different game. Get the picture? 😉

PointyB wrote:

I try to run the game as true to form as they were originally intended.

AFAIK, by using CD images instead of my originals, not only am I preserving them (CD images can't get scratches or break in 2 halfs) as I'm getting an even better experience (performance wise) rather than using them "as originally intented". By doing this, I still play a whole game without losing any features, so I don't get your point...

Reply 5 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Now now njaydg we all know that only dirty rum swilling scurvy ridden pirates use CD images when they could just use the original CD. 😉

Last edited by DosFreak on 2007-09-26, 19:50. Edited 1 time in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 14, by njaydg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Correction, I didn't say only pirates used CD images. Most users do that nowadays, pirate or not. 😉

I just replied the way I did 'cause I don't like it when I'm trying to help someone and that person starts making acusations. Besides, it is not very polite...

p.s. - DosFreak, now I get it... You were being sarcastic... Duh! 🤣

Reply 12 of 14, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
wd wrote:

as true to form as they were originally intended

Buy a singlespeed cdrom. Should even out things.

Indeed.

If you want to play a game from the CD drive, without any skipping, then you have to by an old slow drive. The problem with the drives of today is that when some file is needed the disc spins up to a very high speed which takes a relatively long time, hence the skip. By using a lower drive, say 1x up to 12x or so, the speed is much lower, so the initial loading second is faster. If that makes any sense.

Because of the high speed of the drives today, it's better to make a disc image and store it on the HD if you wanna play it.

Last fall I spent quite some time and made disc images of all my DOS games and stored them on an extermal USB HD. And I never have to worry about the discs getting broken or whatever.

Reply 14 of 14, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I'll try making and mounting images. I'm sure that will stop the sound from skipping on access. I'd still like to use the CD though... because I'm just weird like that. I have faith that the reader in my DVD/CD drive won't burn circular paths on the disc with it's laser or explode the disc into a million parts with high spindle speeds.