First of all, my computer specifications:

AMD Athlon XP2400+
Motherboard Asus A7V600-X
512 MB RAM
Video board GeForce FX 5200 128 MB
Windows XP SP2

I'm using the DOSBox v0.72 with D-Fend.

My problem concerns the game BLOOD.
It happens that I can run the game perfectly, everything is OK (music, sound effects, voices, graphics, etc.). The only thing that is not good is the speed the characters move on screen. It's like if everybody was running instead of being walking. It's strange, because there are no distortions in sound, graphics, etc. but the main player and the enemies (zombies, monks, etc.) seem to move faster than the usual. These are the configurations I'm using now:

Amount of dos memory (MB): 16
XMS, EMS and UMB disabled.
Cycles: 40000
Up: 500
Down: 20
Sync up/down: disabled
CPU Core: dynamic
Frame Skip: 0
Video Card: vga

I've already changed the number of cycles and frame skip and I've already tried to play the game with CPU Core normal instead of dynamic, but nothing really worked. This faster-than-normal-stuff persists. 🙁

I wonder if somebody would have any suggestion to give me about this?
I thank you a lot in advance.

Bye!!

Reply 2 of 18, by Soturnus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

First, thank you for the reply.

I am now using the DosBox Game Launcher and I have tried your specifications, but it didn't work out. Enabling those devices you mentioned didn't cause any difference and as for the number of cycles, it made the whole performance worse. But thanks anyway. 😀

Does anybody else have any suggestions?

Thanks. Bye.

Reply 4 of 18, by Soturnus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What do you mean? How should I do it?

I have Windows XP and I've already tried to play Blood without DosBox, but unfortunately it was not possible (I couldn't manage to do it, at least).

Thank you.

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've played Blood in Windows XP before. Heck, he has a Geforce FX so he shouldn't even be affected by the 640x480 resolution limit (so he doesn't have to use the vga fix). Only thing that has to be done is install VDMSound. Run VDMSound and NOLFB before playing the game. Configure the game. Play the game.

Sound quality will probably have to be lowered but it should run fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

I've played Blood in Windows XP before. Heck, he has a Geforce FX so he shouldn't even be affected by the 640x480 resolution limit (so he doesn't have to use the vga fix). Only thing that has to be done is install VDMSound. Run VDMSound and NOLFB before playing the game. Configure the game. Play the game.

Sound quality will probably have to be lowered but it should run fine.

What forum is this again? It's certainly not the VDMSound forum. Suggesting buggy outdated alternatives is not helpful, especially when the sound sucks and the input lags like hell, plus you do not get IPX networking over IP features and such.

Try setting output mode to anything but surface (like openglnb or overlay). Geforce cards hate surface for some reason

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

He's using an old processor.
He only has 512mb ram.
He has a crappy Geforce FX so if he's using the latest Nvidia drivers it's possibly causing problems.

Suggesting to use NTVDM is an good alternative when you do not have a processor good enough to run your games decently in DosBox.

Reply 9 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wait wait, a XP2400+ is insufficient for Blood? As if. They're not freaking 400mhz computers (which dosbox can still be a good option for). I've worked with these XP2x00's before and they can run Blood fine in DB.

512MB of RAM shouldn't mean a bad thing to DOSbox either. DOSbox can work fine with just 128mb.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep arguing, it's what you seem good at. If this thread isn't resolved soon I'm going to lock it. There's been alot of annoying threads on this forum lately that I should have locked sooner....and I'm definetly going to start going into lockdown mode to get things back on track.

This forum is about solving problems not deciding for users what is best for them on their own damn computers. If he wants to use NTVDM he can use NTVDM. If you don't want to then you don't have to, but to suggest to a user that they shouldn't use something because you don't want them to is not a good idea.

It's ALWAYS a good idea to try multiple solutions in troubleshooting a problem instead of banging your head away on one solution that SHOULD work because it's supposedly the "BEST" solution.

Reply 11 of 18, by tannerstevo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no problems running blood in dosbox or XP, but as the Soturnus said, the enemies seem to move more quickly than in some other games.

I always assumed that the game was supposed to be that way and never gave it any thought.

Also my version of the game (blood 1.0 special edition) comes with a windows installer on the cd.

Reply 12 of 18, by Mindfield

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

FWIW I run Blood in 0.73 at 800x600 using mostly default settings. I find (oddly) that it runs better (faster) in windowed mode though. Still, sound is fine, frame rate (Athlon XP 4200+, GeForce 7950GX2, 2GB RAM, etc.) hovers around 20-30fps on average. I leave cycles at auto. I'm using older 92.xx ForceWare drivers though, I don't know if that makes any difference.

Reply 13 of 18, by Soturnus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Many years ago, I had a Pentium 166, 16 MB RAM with Windows 95. In that time I used to play Blood without any problems. Now with DosBox, as I said, everything is perfect like it was before, except for this beyond normal fast paced movement of the main character and the enemies. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only person who is facing this problem. I suspect it's just a matter of configuration, but as I said, I've already experimented different numbers of cycles and frame skip and nothing worked - on the contrary, some of these changes even affected the good performance the game had. About the "render method", the only other option which allows the game to run, apart of the "surface", is the "ddraw" - but unfortunately changing this causes no difference at all.

I thank you for the help and I'm sorry if my enquiry caused any arguments among the forum members. It was not my intention! 😀

Reply 15 of 18, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe someone can help me with a problem I have with Blood. I want to use the CD Audio available on Blood disc 1. I've initialized my CD/DVD player with the following:

mount d D:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl

When I start blood it will go through the logos (two of which come up black BTW) and then it will eject the CD. It won't let me put the CD back in either. I have to close DOSBox before it will allow me to close the CD tray. During the games initialize process I can see that it shows the CD-ROM has been initialized and that the CD audio tracks are detected. If anyone knows what the bleep is going on then please let me know. If you don't have the original CD to test this out on I suppose any CD with audio tracks will work.

Reply 17 of 18, by PointyB

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nevermind. I got the game working perfectly now. I uninstalled (deleted) blood and reinstalled it. Then instead of installing 1.11 I installed the 3Dfx patch which is actually version 1.20. After that both the CD audio and the video sequences play fine. If anyone is wondering, you can get the 3Dfx patch (version 1.20) from here:

http://www.lith.com/popup.asp?id=blood

Don't be fooled like I was though. The 3Dfx patch isn't just a patch to make the game work in hardware mode. It has a ton of fixes to it as well and can be played in normal software mode.