VOGONS

Schleichfahrt

Topic actions

First post, by DeadeyeFlint

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I got a Problem with the game Schleichfahrt. Everytime I try to launch the game, I get the following error message:

FILE OPEN ERROR: sfx\snd\bground\b02.pcl ERRNO: 1

Since this is the first time I have tried this emulating thing, I have absolutly no Idea what this means, but from the directory of the error I'd say it has something to do with the Sound. I have VDM Sound in it's current Version, as well as the DOS Emulator in it's current Version.

Plz help me because this game is one of my all time favorites.

Reply 1 of 11, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How did you mount your drives/directories?
Post the dosbox conf file if you used one.

Does the file above mentioned, exist in your game dir?

Did you try out one of the frontends (D.O.G. or DBGL) ? These are great for learning DOSBox and all of its configurations.

Also the readme.txt provided does answer a lot of questions, and also check out the FAQ on the General Board (it is a fixed thread).

ps : Now to bed.

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 2 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No need for VDMSound with DOSBox. As Erik suggested, try a frontend to make setting up DOSBox easy. Have you tried running the game's setup in DOSBox?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 11, by DeadeyeFlint

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Erik no, the file doesn't exist in the game dir and yes I have mounted the Drive/Folder where the game is located. And I didn't use a conf File... like I said this is the first time i've tried this.

@collector The game's setup works with dosbox.

Reply 4 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

What collector meant is actually whether you set the game up in Windows or in Dosbox. If you haven't installed it via Dosbox, please delete everything you've done so far and install it from within Dosbox.
And please tell us EXACTLY what you are doing, each command in the order you give them. To me it looks like it wants to load a file from the CD-Rom and can't find it because you either didn't mount the CD-Rom or the game's config files point to a different location of the CD-Rom.
(if the game is not a CD-Rom game, please excuse the last couple of lines 😀)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 11, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you install Schleichfahrt from CD, as described in the 60-second-guide (see the Guides forum), it works flawlessly (although slow). There are no special tricks needed. I know it, because I own it, and it is one of my favourite games.

To make it run fast, use the settings described thousands of times in the forums (and probably the guides too).

Reply 7 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

you didn't really look closely at the Guides Forum, did you?
DOSBox Guides 😀 The topmost one is the correct one.

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 11, by DeadeyeFlint

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess i'm blind, because I didn't find the whole Topic... strange thx anyway

*Update*

Ok i've done it excatly the way it is descriped there, but when I get to the part where the installation of the game itsself begins, Dosbox crashes. I cane move the mouse inside the Window but it keeps saying that the game is beeing installed and nothing more happens. When I leave the Window, dosbox crashes...

Reply 11 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

to quote myself and for the last time

And please tell us EXACTLY what you are doing, each command in the order you give them.

You've been asked two times to give this information, we can't magically help you, we need information...