VOGONS

First post, by Sigma_Orionis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I am having a pretty weird problem with Battle Chess, after the initial screens and questions, when the program is about to set up the board I had a weird sync problem like the one shown in the attachment

I am running DosBox 0.70, has anyone seen this problem?

I am using DosBox under WinXP SP2, it happens both in my laptop and my desktop (both of which have widely different configs)

Attachments

• BC.JPG
    Filename
    BC.JPG
    File size
    82.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 11, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only thing to try out is DOSBox 0.72, a differant CPU like Simple or Full. If it still doesn't work report back with the following info :
-Windows version
-DOSBox version
-Game used
-Config file used (upload it !)
-Problem at hand with steps used to reach it.
-Graphics card used
-Any other info that might be usefull

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 2 of 11, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problems with DOSBox 0.72 (default conf file), WinXP SP2, on both my desktop PC (Radeon X1900XT) and notebook (GMA950), all drivers up to date.

That's the demo version though. You said it happens on two completely different systems, so I guess it's not a graphics card / driver issue, but either the DOSBox version or the game itself. Did you download it somewhere btw?

Perhaps try the demo and see if the problem persists:

http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/fun_and_ … ames/bcdemo.zip

Attachments

• chess_001.png
    Filename
    chess_001.png
    File size
    20.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 11, by Sigma_Orionis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, sorry to bother you guys, the problem was with the game itself, it was a copy I downloaded from somewhere a while ago, I tried with the original game (bought the Interplay Battle Chess compilation a few years ago and had it stashed away 😀 ) and works fine

Whatever the problem is, it must be related to the original cracking of the game I suspect.

Reply 5 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Abandonware sucks because someone didn't test the game before uploading? Thats like getting cold popcorn at a movie theatre and saying "This is why big screen movies suck".

Reply 6 of 11, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, "Abandonware" (a term which doesn't exist "officially" - "pirated software" would be more appropriate) suckes because there are many incomplete or non-working game versions on "Abandonware" sites. This post is a perfect example of the problems that can be caused by these non-working versions - if the OP didn't tell the forum he downloaded his copy, it would have been impossible to identify the source of the problem. It's not hard to understand,. really.

Reply 7 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"If the OP didn't tell the forum he downloaded his copy, it would have been impossible to identify the source of the problem"

Thats amusing because I'm sure more than half of the requests for help here are coming from pirated copies. We have many users with hundreds of games, don't go telling me they are all purchased with a straight face.

Reply 8 of 11, by emptyshell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having problems with battlechess too.
I can get it to load and run. but when the menu comes up and I press a key, the game just starts playing a comp vs comp match and all I can do is watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply 10 of 11, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
emptyshell wrote:

I'm having problems with battlechess too.
I can get it to load and run. but when the menu comes up and I press a key, the game just starts playing a comp vs comp match and all I can do is watch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't you have to right click and hold it to get the menu to show up? Then you can select Human VS CPU. I think, it's been a long time since I played Battle Chess.

Reply 11 of 11, by emptyshell

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah sorry about the double post I just wasn't sure if i would get any replies from posting it in this thread (which I only thought about AFTER posting here) so I posted it as a new topic.
I managed to download a version that works in windows, although the sound doesnt work. Thanks for your suggestions though