VOGONS

First post, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Starting Quake using the attached conf file setting the output Device to surface results DOSBox 0.72 or the CVS sometimes to paint the screen "flash" incorrectly. This after Alt-Entering DOSBox to fullscreen.
The game stops suddenly and repaints the flash very slowly, afterwards the game continues but the scoreboard remains yelowish or reddish. This is not viewable on a screenshot from inside DOSBox, taking a screenshot from Windows is also not possible because of the fullscreen.

The flash is the result of the player taking an item or a hit in the game.

This is easily viewable inside the menu ingame teaser.

This doesn't happen every flash, it seams to happen when the CPU is busy maintaining other programs like Windows itself.
Using other output devices this does not occur.

Quake 1.0.1 CD-Rom version
Windows Visa Business

Erik.

Attachments

• Filename
    Test4.conf
    File size
    1.27 KiB
    Downloads
    169 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 2 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

it's a known nvidia SDL 8-bit color issue, my geforce2 and fx did this. If it involves constant smooth palette changes in real time it will be slow in 8-bit on an nvidia card.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Woody,
I removed the VSync section in the conf file, this was due to a bug in D.O.G. 1.54 beta. Thanks,

Now I start DOSBox using the attached conf file. Fullscreen is on.

To reproduce :
Start Quake 1.0.1 and let the menu demo play out in fullscreen until the player gets to the portal door.
ALT+Enter to window mode and back to fullscreen before the player takes the golden-key and shoots the zombies that pop out from under the water.

The game in most cases results in a slow drawing of the flash (from the golden-key) and distorted visuals.

Some missing data from my first post :
Windows Vista Business without Aero.
ATI Mobility 9000

One sidenote though,
The mixer cdaudio part in the conf, I got that from somebody on the net that this controls the volume of the cd if using mount D D:\ -t cdrom.
Is this true, I tried it and it doesn't work for me?

Erik.

Attachments

• Filename
    Test4.conf
    File size
    1.23 KiB
    Downloads
    149 downloads
    File license

Read the new FAQ.doc

Reply 5 of 5, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Started DOSBox using a fresh config file. Only adding an autoexec to it. See attachments.

Same scenario is valid. Alt+Entering and Surface cause the drawing.

Running the game from the start in fullscreen or window won't cause the drawing. Switching between window or fullscreen while running the menu demo (Haven't tried while playing) will cause the drawing.

Will test on an XP system (ATI x300) tomorrow.

Erik.

Attachments

• Filename
    DosBox.conf
    File size
    7.26 KiB
    Downloads
    183 downloads
    File license

Read the new FAQ.doc