VOGONS

First post, by bvwalker1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello -
First of all I wanted to say grats on such a great legacy utility. I am using it to run World of Xeen. The only problem I have is that the music in the background is too loud compared to voices talking in the game. I tried adjusting my system sound but it only seemed to lower/raise both. I'm running XP with SBLive. I also checked and the game doesn't appear to have any sound settings (that I can find). I saw that there is a setting called "mixer" in DOSBOX, butwhen I change the Master it lowers both types of sound (voice and background). I need to some way to lower/raise them individually. Any ideas? Thanks in advance for your help.

Reply 1 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't have a good answer for you. Do you use the same emulated sound card for both music and voices? Maybe try to separate the 2 ?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

master governs all sound devices (Aside from midi)
you should try modifying the individual levels of the devices and as MiniMax pointed out that this strategy relies on the fact that the effects and the music are being 2 different devices.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since voices are digital, set it to sound blaster and then set the music to something like adlib. That way they are seperated, but still sound like you have them now. Then you can change em seperately.

Reply 4 of 7, by bvwalker1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the input guys. Where do I go to set the voice and background music settings? Is this in the config file of dosbox? Again, the voices are there, I can hear them, but the background music is significantly louder. tried to use VDM sound and it appears to work ok with it, but some parts of the game speed is way off and the game is full screen only. Is there a way to run the game witihn dosbox and its settings but use the sound from vdm?

Reply 5 of 7, by avatar_58

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well is there an install.exe or setup.exe? I'm not familiar with World of Xeen so I couldn't say. It has to be setup from the game's installer, which should be in the same directory as the game itself.

Reply 6 of 7, by bvwalker1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is an installer.exe and I ran it, but I'm at work, so I don't remember the exact message, but something like are you using SoundBlaster (y/n). After I select yes, it exits and no more messages or prompts.

Thanks for the help.

Reply 7 of 7, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If that is the only question you are presented with wrt. sound, then you are screwed.

In many games you are asked to select a device for sounds effects (including voices) and one for music.

I usually choose the SoundBlaster 16 for the effects/voice, and a MIDI / MPU-401 thingy for the music.

But if you only get one question, then the programmer has decided to use the same device for both.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions