VOGONS

Reply 41 of 45, by dale5351

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I noticed another thing that doesn't always work: in the list of packets to open, the statistics about the content of the packet in the list is often a bunch of dash characters. It is curious that it works sometimes; but it's probably not critical.

What you observe is related to the time/date stamp problem. BlueWave maintains a file called PKSTATS.BW (not human readable) in which it has those stats associated with the date/time stamp of the file. Since updating a QWK file in DOSBOX changes the time/date stamp, it no longer associates the correct statistics with that QWK file. In NTVDM, when Bluewave saves/updates a QWK file, it manages to preserve the original time/date stamp.

A quirk of this method is that if you happen to have two files with the same time/date stamp, Bluewave reports the same statistics for both -- the last one it opened. That usually happens when one copies a QWK file into another name for some reason.

All of this is minor, and has no serious consequences.

Reply 42 of 45, by dale5351

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Maybe ask a moderator if you can link to the discussion here. However, feel free to repost the program anywhere you want.

I don't have anywhere to host the file.

Hey, Mr. Moderator -- is it ok to post a link to this message thread into another discussion group? (Fidonet -- BlueWave echo).

Reply 43 of 45, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Link away. I seriously don't hope there is a policy against that.

PS: We might giggle a bit when newcomers starts to refer to this forum as a "message base" 😀

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 44 of 45, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
dale5351 wrote:

What you observe is related to the time/date stamp problem.

It appears so. I tested it a bit, and the good news is that issue doesn't crop up with ykhwong's build of DOSBox. 😀 If the Linux version of that build has the date/time stamp feature, the most visible issues would seem to be resolved. However, it might not be important enough to you to use an unofficial build.

Reply 45 of 45, by dale5351

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

I adapted a little interrupt watchdog program to work around this situation in DOSBox.

I've noticed that your file has been downloaded 11 times so far. I'm curious as to whether there are that many users of BlueWave using DOSBOX, or whether some folks were just curious to learn how you did the fix?