VOGONS

Might and Magic IV issues

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 69, by Goblin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just say no to sound... if you have sound it'll ask you to change disks and then it will cut off on you.

Game plays fine without sound anyways.

If I remember right the sound was crappy and redundant anyways.

Voice acting was good though.

If your having problems with what people are saying just change everything to text in your options. Thats the way the original was anyways. The original only had talking during the little cut scenes like going into towns on the Darkside or into caves.

Reply 61 of 69, by lvmwrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As much as I hate to bother on such an old topic, I'm a newb and I'm sure I'm doing some stupid mistake. I've installed DOSbox v0.65 to see if I couldn't get my old Xeen working again. It's the orginal two cds for MM4/5.

The first problem I ran into was the 'You have a music cd in the drive, get the right cd!' Alright, looked here, used ...

mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl

... instead, and I get a new error that baffles me.

xeen.jpg

Huh? I type the file name in all caps, I type in just xeen, I keep getting the same error. Instead, I try typing in install.exe and it runs the installer just fine. So... am I doing something stupid, or what?

I also have the Betrayal at Krondor and plan to try it out later, but I want this game working first. ^^;

Reply 62 of 69, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The error message comes from xeen.exe itself -- DOSBox would say "Illegal command..."
I just tried installing it and it works fine. Odd, I have the same files but all file sizes are slightly smaller than yours (except INTRO.CC which is significantly smaller). My version comes from MM Trilogy CD. Are you using non-English version, by any chance?

Reply 63 of 69, by lvmwrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it's english. It's not a trilogy, platnium, or some other re-release either. My friend had cd with something like MM1-5 on it, and we had a hell of a time trying to get it to run on a 98, say... six, eight years ago?

Meh. I don't get it.

Just installed Betrayal at Krondor and it works. No errors like these at all. It's a little slow in general (in loading, moving, much anything), but it works at all. I'm sure I can't tweak something to get it working just right.

Reply 64 of 69, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just checked, that error is in the executable but even if you remove any file, you should not see that one. This is some generic problem. Can you post your dosbox.conf file (as attachment)? Also, when you run install from CD, tell it to install into subdirectory on C:, not to the root -- my version works either way but yours may be different in that respect.

Reply 65 of 69, by lvmwrah

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, installing the files to a deeper subdirectory worked. Instead of the default C:\World\, I decided to do what DOSbox intended, and made a file for all my Dos games. Since I put it in it's own C:\OLDDOS\XEEN\, it started working.

Wierd.

Krondor defaults in C:\Dynamix\Krondor\, so maybe that's why I didn't get the same error.

Thank you for the suggestion, it helped. Now all I have to do is remember how to play the game, and where you reroll characters. ><

Reply 67 of 69, by Upcoming Shoes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having some trouble with this game as well.

I've finally managed to install and play the game (with sound).

However, I'm having a problem entering whats-his-name's tower in the first city. Now, for some stupid reason, I have to change disks to do this. I can change disks between works (Darkside and Clouds) just fine. That works every time (as long as I hit cancel, see below). But this tower? Nope: I get an error message.

Dialogue box pops up: There is no disk in the drive. Please isert a disk into drive E: [Cancel] [Try Again] [Continue]

The game window has a scroll at the bottom that says 'Please insert World of Xeen CD-ROM Disk 1'

I hit cancel (because the other 2 end up giving more error message and such). That message goes away so. But, the game itself hangs. This has happened every time I've tried to enter this guy's tower. I can go back and forth between Clouds and Darkside ok, but this tower just hangs.

Not sure what it could be - game or dosbox. But, I figured if anyone knew, the answer would be here... Anyone else having this problem?

Reply 68 of 69, by deraknecron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Im experiencing the same issue as Upcoming Shoes.

Specifically:

Click on tower; Lady says I can go in; Loading message pops up

at this time, dosbox produces an error box and spits out my cdrom.

Header on error box: DOSBox 0.65, Cpu Cycles: 8000, Frameskip 0 , Program: XEEN: Dosbox.exe - No Disk
Options: Cancel / Try Again / Continue

The same error message pops up for any time the game wants you to switch the disk (Oddly when I first installed began playing, Dosbox was not creating this error issue and spitting the cd at me; I havent changed any files or settings either)

When switching worlds, switching the CD hitting Continue and waiting a minute or two (or sometimes I have to fullscreen/unfullscreen to get it to register) and the game proceeds on.

Another place that the No Disk error pops up and seems to result in a hang/freeze situation is loading your save game with the wrong cd in the drive.

I didn't have the time to try going up to the skyroad and entering the tower from there as a work around (although it probably wont be easy or possible depending on when your playing that section)

Also seeing how im trying to get dressed for work and write this, ive left out some of the results I got from the various tests I did on the No Disk error / Ellsingers Tower incident, when i get off ill post what I got.

Hope this info helps for someone, or the posting/bumping on this thread may cause some form of help!

Reply 69 of 69, by deraknecron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Found a method that works fairly reliably, of course i didnt massive batch test it to take flaws from the data but it should work fairly well.

All you should need is dosbox (im using 0.65, and none of the other programs like D-fend) and your dosbox.conf file (and the means to edit it)

Before starting, take a moment to make a copy of your original/current dosbox.conf file, rename it and move it somewhere safe, just in case for any reason you have an accident wihle editing it, you can fix it with original.

Instructions (Written in the assumption it is the default settings)
1. Open dosbox.conf with whatever you use to edit it (notepad in my case)
2. Scroll down to the '[cpu]' section, locate 'cycles=3000' and replace '3000' with 'auto'
3. Save the changes and close the file. (If you want, under the '[sdl]' section, 'priority=higher,normal' change it to 'priority=highest,higher' this does help with the loading, but its not gonna help drastically (unless you got a lot of programs running in the background)
4. Start up the game
(during this time, the game may be running at a lot faster pace then you are used to, the mouse will too. try to use the keyboard controls as much as possible)
5. Get to the tower, (if you play in Full Screen, switch to windowed mode for this sequence, as the error box usually kicks you out of Full Screen anyways, and has a tendency to change your screens resolution settings in the process) click or press spacebar to enter, after the lady warrior chick says her spiel, your cdrom should be ejected and you will get the box asking if you want to 'Cancel' 'Try Again' 'Continue'
6. Put appropriate disc in tray, close it, and select 'Try Again'
7. You will get a message saying "The wrong volume is in the drive. Please insert volume (whatever your darkside cd is called) into drive" along with 'Cancel' 'Try Again' 'Continue' ; Select 'Continue'
8. Your computers performance will be the final determining factor at this point. The better it is, the faster the game will load thru to the tower, but rest assured it will load (I usually play at cycle of 8000-10000, it definately took a significantly longer time for the game to load at that rate, but it did load every time i tried it)
9. Save your game, you can now go on playing the Darkside of Xeen's storyline~

(If you of course find the settings unbearable to play in after youre loaded and saved inside the tower, close dosbox, and set the 'cycles=auto' to 'cycles=3000' and if you changed your priorities for this the default setting for it is 'priority=higher,normal'. Also if youre feeling really lazy you can just rename the copy you made to dosbox.conf and overwrite the edited one.)

I truly hope this will help anyone who is stuck at needing to enter Ellsinger's Tower, no matter how far they are in the game (alternatively, I did find out there is an entrance to the tower from the Skyways, which acts in the same manner as using a Pyramid.[/b]