VOGONS

Master of Magic

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by NYPD

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I posted this first in the Sound section by mistake. Sorry about that. I think this is where it goes.

Hello

I recently bought a bunch of classic games at a flea market. I read up on how to get MoM to run and got your great DosBox tool.

Now my old school memory on how to cd \ (Type in the proper lines to get a dang game to run) has left me completely.

Can someone please post here what I have to do EXACTLY to get Master of Magic to run? Please?

Do I have to start DosBox first and then type in a dos line?

Also I downloaded the latest version of DosBox do I need to update it or something?

By the way I have a p4 2 gig processor, a geforce 4 128 vid card, not sure sound card, 1 gig of ram, and running windows 2000 pro.

Thanks,
NYPD

Reply 1 of 2, by Runenklinge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello,

have you installed / unzipped MoM yet? If not,do so,and rememer the directory you install it to.
Next,start DosBox.exe from the DosBox directory.A Dos screen will appear.Now type: mount c c:\MoM (if c:\MoM is the directory you installed to).Now,type c: .You're now in the MoM directory and can start the game.If it runs too slow,press Ctrl+F12 to increase CPU usage,or Ctrl+F8 to increase the number of frames skipped.

Reply 2 of 2, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by NYPD I posted this first in the Sound section by mistake. Sorry about that. I think this is where it goes.

Yes, and the older one has been purged.

Now my old school memory on how to cd \ (Type in the proper lines to get a dang game to run) has left me completely.

http://emlab.berkeley.edu/sst/basic.dos.html
http://www.easydos.com/dosindex.html

Can someone please post here what I have to do EXACTLY to get Master of Magic to run? Please?

After you've read the README that comes with DOSBOX. Try looking at these posts for some background:
showthread.php?threadid=605&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=779&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=1094&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=1641&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=1766&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=1860&highlight=Master+Magic
showthread.php?threadid=2032&highlight=Master+Magic

Do I have to start DosBox first and then type in a dos line?

Yes. Read the README that comes with it. Basically, DosBox acts as a "Virtual" DOS PC that uses your real drives and directories. For example, if your "Master of Magic" is in C:\MPS\MOM, you would type something like like MOUNT C C:\ (which makes your C: drive available to DosBox), then C: to switch to the C: drive, then CD MPS\MOM to switch to the game directory.

From there you you would run setup to match up with DosBox's specifications, then run the game.

Also I downloaded the latest version of DosBox do I need to update it or something?

If you have the latest version; then, by definition, you don't need to update it.