VOGONS

Carmageddon MAx Pack 3DFX

Topic actions

First post, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, I have a little problem with carmageddon Max Pack in dosbox, I can't start the game with the 3DFX.exe, I know that 0.73 DOSBox although it is perfect 😁 there isn't any hardware support for 3dfx, I know I should't ask about the Daum Cafe build here, but since that forum hasn't been active for some time now i take my chance here. So is there any way I could play 3dfx carmagedon in the 20090519 Daum Cafe CVS build? Or in the official 0.73? I tried to copy the dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta2 glide2x.dll and glide2x.ovl in the carmageddon folder in the normal build and it worked, but it had some strange sound/graphics problem (main street map appeared in daylight, missing Max Damage, and Die Anna portrit in the top left corner, and beeping sound). Thank you.

Reply 1 of 21, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

That 3DFX thing.... Something to do with Glide? Not that I know what Glide really is anyway... Some discussion going on here:

Topic 21861

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried that yesterday, I decided to try your build after digging into the forum for some solutions, however if I only replace the dll file from the dgVoodoo 1.50 Beta2 there is no mouse in the game, but if I copy booth the dll and the ovl it has the mouse and the preformance was a bit better too. For some unknown reasons the program crashed when I clicked exit to dos in carmageddon, but sometimes only error messages appears in the dosbox windows. So your build is the closest to work, somehow the errormessages and crashes should be worked out.

Reply 8 of 21, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You must be doing something wrong...running INSIDE dosbox with dgvoodoo ovl should most certainly not work. If glide activates inside dosbox you should see a message in the console and see the 3dfx logo spinning.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 9 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am happy to tell you guys that I found the perfect solution for the problem! After I installed Carmageddon from the CD, then I also installed booth 3DFX patches one that has the CARMAV.EXE (it is on the Splat Pack CD, and it can be found at this forum somewhere) downloaded from this site: http://www.tower.net.au/~robsol/carma/carm_faq.html#3dfx, then I downloaded dgVoodoo v1.50 Beta2 from this site: http://dege.freeweb.hu/. I put "glide2x.dll" and "glide2x.ovl" from dgVoodoo to the folder where I installed Carma. I gave 31 mega memory in the custom config file, and the game works perfectly, not even a graphical error (at least I haven't found any yet). The same goes for Splat Pack.
I almost forgot to mention, booth carmageddon and splat pack must be started with CARMAV.EXE, and also I used the standard 0.73 version of dosbox, (nothing special just the glide ovl and dll in the carma and carsplat folders)

Reply 11 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Although carmageddon works great for me in 3Dfx mode, a minor bug is present that annoys me, some reflective maps appears as white texture on some cars. Not on all cars however. In splat pack on one map the reflective windows are present and on another it's gone, and a few cars has reflective windows and the other few doesn't. I think this is somehow related to texture memory but it is only a speculation. I tried gulikoza's CVS and edited the memory to use 63 mega and also edited the OpenGlid.ini and gave maximum memory booth in texture and Frame Buffer Memory but didn't work. If this is a know problem and there is a patch to it then please let me know, if it isn't and it has something to do with dosbox than please post me possible solutions for this. This minor bug is 3Dfx only all other textures are in place. In normal no-3Dfx mode the windows has their textures too. Thank you, I've posted a screenshot too...

carmageddon.th.png

Reply 12 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks to Gulikoza's assistance now I can run the game in near perfect 3Dfx mode, but the reflection maps case is still a mystery. So I will try to find a solution for this if there is any of course. 😁

Reply 13 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Meanwhile I edited a few files for splat pack, it was obvious that Splat Pack played the data track on its CD rom, that is why in dosox a very loud fizzing could be heared instead of music, this is fixed, I edited the SOUND.txt and KSOUND.txt so the CD data track is now exluded from the playlist, however I edited the cue sheet to so there is 9 track now. To use this replace the original cue sheet of your splat pack copy and put KSOUND.txt and SOUND.txt o the CARSPLAT\DATA\SOUND folder and overwrite the two original files.

Attachments

• Filename
    Splat_Pack_Music_FIX.zip
    File size
    6.34 KiB
    Downloads
    365 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 14 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

ah another game that does that. I coded a fix for that, but wondered what motivates games to do that.
Let's see if I see if I can debug this game somehow as well

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 15 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you that would be nice indeed, but even if you debug it the patch might still be useful, if no fizzing the music playback still stops because it can't play the data track, or could dosbox just force the game to skip the data track entirely? In carmageddon Splat PAcks case the data track was accidentaly put in the playlist... in the normal game the playlist starts with track 2 so it skips the datatrack.

Reply 16 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well my current patch returns true on the attempt to play the track, however the bit "playing" is set to false, so that the game thinks the track ended already. This is what I can guess from how it should work. But it might be that we report somewhere wrong information, that causes the game to try to play the track in first place.

Hence I need more games that have this problem in order to determine that we report something wrong => causes them to try to play the data track

or they always try to play the data track and how to handle that (current patch focussed on this behaviour)

I don't own this game so hence my Let's see if I can debug it

Reply 17 of 21, by szekeres2009

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've noticed that in 3Dfx mode DOSBox can't take screenshots and videos, whel of course it will write the files but booth the videos and pictures are pure black. Do I need another codec for videos? or this is simply a bug?

Last edited by szekeres2009 on 2009-10-27, 07:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 21, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the glide stuff is mapped directly to opengl. It doesn't pass the usual stations where screenshots and movies are made.

You could consider it a bug, but it is one that will be never fixed I think. So consider it an undocumented feature 😉