VOGONS

First post, by Avarice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, just like everyone else trying to run MoM directly I get the EMS mem errors.

I tried running it through vdm sound and I get the same errors.

I remembered dosbox from a while back and downloaded it again to see if it's progressed.

Amazingly enough the game loaded up w/ some sound even. (weird click noises for menu buttons and midi music, but at least it was sound)

My problem is the game runs rediculously slow. It takes about 1/2 a second to a full 2 seconds for a menu button to *click* after I have clicked on it. So it's really slow, even generating a world took forever about 2 minutes or more. Moving the mouse around feels like it's being pushed through water. Very very slow. 😀

I tried reading through mom posts on the boards, but everyone seems to have different problems, mostly with sound and those mem errors.

If any of you have got this game running through dosbox at normal speed please contact me on how to do so, I would love to play this baby again.

Thanks guys,

-Avarice-

S.S.

Windows Xp
AMD Athlon Xp 2400
768mb ram
100gig hd
2 (2in1) dvd/cdr drives
Geforce 4 4600
SB Audigy soundcard
Asus nforce (1) motherboard

Any other specific information needed let me know.

Reply 1 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Avarice Ok, just like everyone else trying to run MoM directly I get the EMS mem errors.

I tried running it through vdm sound and I get the same errors.

Did you try diabling any devices that might be eating up your upper memory blocks? Often, disabling BIOS-level USB support will do it...

Amazingly enough the game loaded up w/ some sound even.

Not so amazing, really. Been running on v0.58 of DosBox for some time now:
showthread.php?threadid=1094&highlight=Master+Magic+dosbox

My problem is the game runs rediculously slow. It takes about 1/2 a second to a full 2 seconds for a menu button to *click* after I have clicked on it. So it's really slow, even generating a world took forever about 2 minutes or more. Moving the mouse around feels like it's being pushed through water. Very very slow.

*pause*
Did you try adjusting cycles in DosBox?
Since you have an Athlon Xp 2400, I'm betting the answer is no. Read the ReadMe that comes with DosBox.

Reply 2 of 5, by Avarice

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

3000 some posts and you even took the time to type out a non helpful response to earn another mark on that tally. Congratulations.

I'm sure you spend a lot of time here, reading every post and responding, and are tired of seeing what you view as stupid questions, but with all your wasted time you could at least help people out with what you have learned instead of being counter productive.

Read the readme...wow never would of thought of that one.

ctrl_f12 I'm assuming.

I could go on to post how it has no effect on mom and merely causes sound to skip and the game to crash more often with no boost in speed, but then you will respond with a snide remark regarding some post I didn't search for and then instead of typing out a solution for me in less key strokes you finish your remarks and and paste links to said post.

Good job with your pointless forum existence, hope it works out for you.

Sarcasm and jealousy get you no where.

I'm better than you.

-Avarice-

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Avarice ...but with all your wasted time you could at least help people out with what you have learned instead of being counter productive.

You mentioned having EMS memory problems. We've learned that often EMS won't work because of things like BIOS-level USB support (which usually isn't used on an XP machine) will use a block of memory needed to create EMS.

I asked you if you had tried that because it might allow you to run EMS titles outside of DosBox.

Read the readme...wow never would of thought of that one.

ctrl_f12 I'm assuming.

Unfortunately, we can no longer presume that people have done this. A large number of recent posts have been made by people who had not done so (and this has recently increased significantly). You have no history of posts before this one (from which we could make a "guesstimate" of your technical knowledge) and you made no reference at all to adjusting speed/cycles within DosBox.

Considering that it runs fine on my 1.7 Celeron and you say it runs horribly slow on an Athlon XP 2400, I could only gather that the cycles setting was incorrect.

I could go on to post how it has no effect on mom and merely causes sound to skip and the game to crash more often with no boost in speed,

Why didn't you say this in your original post? Didn't you think it was relevant?

...but then you will respond with a snide remark regarding some post I didn't search for...

You already referred to earlier posts so I presumed you had already searched. This is why I didn't post a search reference...snide or otherwise.

...and then instead of typing out a solution for me in less key strokes you finish your remarks and paste links to said post.

Avarice, why would you think I had a ready solution? It's only in your second post that I found any indicator of what the problem might be.

Good job with your pointless forum existence, hope it works out for you. Sarcasm and jealousy get you no where. I'm better th […]
Show full quote

Good job with your pointless forum existence, hope it works out for you.

Sarcasm and jealousy get you no where.

I'm better than you.

*onward*

Possibilities:

If you are running MoM in DosBox while in a Window that is "doubled", that could induce at least some of the delay that you were seeing. (In your DosBox configuration file make sure your KEEPSMALL setting = TRUE. Note that this seems unlikely as you referred to significant delays, not just choppy audio.

(At worst, it takes 5 or 6 seconds for world generation for me, and a 1 or 2 second delay when going between the Load/Save/Settings screen and the game screen. This is running full-screen with 9732 cycles on a 1.7GHz processor.)

There is also a possibility that your problem may be related to the version of DosBox you were running. You mentioned getting a more recent version, but not the # of the version.

It should run well with 0.58. I don't believe the CVS releases have been "optimized" and they may be eating up needed CPU time. For general use, stick with the "public releases".

If you are running a CVS release, it's also possible that having the DPMI=TRUE setting in your config file could cause problems and it may need to be set to FALSE (this just a wild guess...I see no rhyme or reason to games that have problems with DPMI support turned on in DosBox).

If you are already running 0.58, then you may need to contact the authors as there would be something extraordinarily wrong with your DosBox for cycle adjustments not to work.

Reply 4 of 5, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Avarice, that was rather rude. We're trying to help people here, in our free time, with no gain to ourselves other than the satasfaction of helping others. That "I am better than you" comment was REALLY out of line, and I'll thank you to not abuse the moderators. Instead of being a jerk and saying "I read the readme, dumbass" try saying "Thanks but I already know about how to slow down and increase cycles. Could it be something else?" You'll get further on in life that way.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It is unwise to expect that first answer will immediately lead to solution. But every answer should be appreciated. It is symptomatic that people on "non profitable" places are often willing to help rather then those who sell products for lots of money. I remember some frustrating cases when I needed help from manufacturers of expensive commercial product (both hardware and software) and received no answer from their helplines at all.