VOGONS

First post, by Dr. Rabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For starters, all this necessary unnecessary info about my computer, which you will probably just leak somwhere and I'll get tons of viruses. Just kidding!

1. Dunno, probably some shitty Asus or something.
2. Intel Pentium M 1.70 GHZ (better than Core2Duo!)
3. 1,50 GB.
4. ATI MOBILITY RADEON 7500, 64MB DDR (bullshit, more like 16)
5. Some integrated SoundMAX, doesn't wanna tell it's model number or anything.
5. WinXp Pro.
7. The Terminator: Future Shock/Skynet, latest versions; 1.30 for FS, 1.0 for SN.
8. Can't get Ultrasound to work for music. Sound works, but pretty shitty.
9. Always.
10. Well I WOULD use SB16 for sounds and GUS for music, but since it doesn't work, SB16 sounds and MPU-401 for music.
11. You mean in DOSBox? "Overlay" Default resolutions for DOS and games.
12. 0.73.
13. EVERYTHING! Yes, have read readme.

Ok, so, Gravis Ultrasound doesn't work for music in the two terminator FPS-games. When trying to set MIDI in the SETUP.EXE to any of the available Ultrasound settings (Gravis Ultrasound, Gravis Ultrasound Max or Gravis Ultrasound Ace) it says "ERROR: MIDI driver could not initialize."
At first I thought the problem was in the port, as it ONLY wants to use 220, which is Sound Blaster's port. For me, GUS is in 240. So I try to switch SB's and GUS' ports around, nothing; still the same error. I try to use a different port; same error. The next idea I got is that it tries to use the wrong IRQ and DMA ports as you can't configure the IRQ or DMA from the setup program, so I fiddle around with the games' files and found a HMISET.CFG and SETUP.INI which has some settings regarding GUS. Namely, SETUP.INI has [SYSTEM] and [MIDISETTINGS] colums with some settings. I notice that it has the port, DMA and IRQ settings there, and they do not correspond to my dosbox.cfg GUS settings. So I try to switch every GUS-board's port, IRQ and DMA columns to 240, 5, 3.
STILL THE SAME ERROR. Okay, goddamnit. Moving on to HMISET.CFG, I notice the [MIDI] column's settings change to whatever MIDI-card you have chosen from the setup, and It's SETUP.INI-ordered port. So I'm thinking that even if the card doesn't want to work in the setup, maybe changing this would make it working! Nope, wrong. Still no GUS music in the game.

WHY DO YOU DO THIS TO ME GAME?! At this point I gave up and concluded that like SkyNET, the games have become self-aware and just plain REFUSE to work with GUS. I'll just have stick to MPU-401 music then, which I actually like fine, but would like to hear what the games' music sounds like with GUS.

So if you guys could figure out what the hell is the problem, please very much do so and inform me. I'll attach Shock's SETUP.INI (the files are identical amongst the games) to this post if you guys can fiddle around with it better than I did.

I wish you luck. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Whoops, double attachement!

Attachments

• Filename
    SETUP.INI
    File size
    3.55 KiB
    Downloads
    473 downloads
    File comment
    The setup file from Shock.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Dr. Rabbit on 2010-04-21, 18:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Dr. Rabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What, the whole thing? Okay, here goes nothing.

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=true
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=overlay
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
machine=svga_s3
captures=capture
memsize=38

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=none

[cpu]
core=dynamic
cputype=auto
cycles=max

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=48000
blocksize=512
prebuffer=100

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
mididevice=win32
midiconfig=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=opl3
oplemu=compat
oplrate=44100

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND (Yes, I have the folder where it's supposed to be)

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=48000
tandy=off
tandyrate=48000
disney=false

No joystick.

serial1=modem

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

ipx=true

[autoexec]
keyb sv 437
VER SET 6 22
mount C D:\Games\DOSBox\C
mount -t cdrom D F:\ (Daemon Tools drive)
C:

That's about it.

Not a real doctor.

Reply 4 of 14, by Dr. Rabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I didn't really find any info relevant to my problem, could you please direct me to it if you found something?

In other news, I tried to run some of the programs in the ULTRASND directory to try and perhaps initialize the card or something, just in case the Terminator games can't detect it for music for some reason. ULTRAMIX.EXE seemed like a good idea, but it tells me that it "Could not locate an Ultrasound at the port(s) specified in the enviroment. Please run SETUP from your Ultrasound directory to correct this problem." So I do just that, but: "Setup cannot locate the Ultrasound card. blah blah I/O adress is in use blah blah setup can perform a scan to find possible free I/O address" So again, I do just that. The scan shows that ports 220, 230 and 240 are "UNAVAILABLE for any Ultrasounds", which leaves ports 210, 250 and 260. Ports 220 and 240 I can get, since they're where SB and GUS are duh, but dunno about port 230. So I try to switch SB off and GUS to port 210, but it STILL tells me that the it can't locate the GUS card nor are the ports available. In fact, port 210 is labeled as available even though the GUS is now in it. Baffling.

Next, I tried to do a fresh install of the Ultrasound directory from contents of the original install floppy disk(s) I got from some japanese site mentioned on the DOSBox wiki. The install program again says that it can't locate the GUS card, and opts to run the same port checker program with the same results as before. Then I tried the "Restore files" option on the installer, which apparently works as it copies all the ULTRASND-dir's files, but it doesn't make any differance in getting the damn thing to recognize the card.

At this point I'm basically out of ideas. I think I'm going to try v. 0.72 of DOSBox if it works any better with the subject, as it has some extra DMA and IRQ settings for GUS, but that'll have to wait as I'm pretty tired at the moment. All I'm wondering here is that is this a user error on my behalf, or is DOSBox's GUS emulation a bit lacking or HMI crap?

Not a real doctor.

Reply 6 of 14, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are some versions of the HMI driver set where the GUS drivers do not work properly, even on real hardware. Daggerfall is one specific case that has been discussed before on the forum.

Reply 8 of 14, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Solution:

Open SETUP.INI and under [MIDISETTINGS] modify line with Device011 to Device011 = 3, 0x220, 0x230, 0x240. This will add more ports to Gravis UltraSound when you pick it up for MIDI in setup and set default port to 240.
Don't run ultramid.exe!
IMPORTANT! Run loadpats.exe located in game folder always before running setup or game.
Run setup and pick Gravis UltraSound for MIDI which should now default to port 240.
Test midi to see if it works (works here for me).

😎

Reply 10 of 14, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I copy loadpats.exe and patches.ini from Skynet then Gravis Ultrasound also works with Daggerfall. I don't know if music sounds correctly though.

Edit:
Maybe using patches.ini from http://www.gravisultrasound.com/files/game_ut … ls/GAIL3214.ZIP would be better for Daggerfall?

Edit2:
Looking at patches.ini from Skynet it looks like to me that it was generated by some software to load only patches used in game's *.hmi music files.

Reply 11 of 14, by Dr. Rabbit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Miki Maus wrote:
Solution: […]
Show full quote

Solution:

Open SETUP.INI and under [MIDISETTINGS] modify line with Device011 to Device011 = 3, 0x220, 0x230, 0x240. This will add more ports to Gravis UltraSound when you pick it up for MIDI in setup and set default port to 240.
Don't run ultramid.exe!
IMPORTANT! Run loadpats.exe located in game folder always before running setup or game.
Run setup and pick Gravis UltraSound for MIDI which should now default to port 240.
Test midi to see if it works (works here for me).

😎

Thanks, this seems to work, although I could tell that the setup program's Test MIDI music was missing an instrument. In-game music sounds like should, though. I'll have to run some more tests, but looks promising so far.

Not a real doctor.

Reply 14 of 14, by xdantespardax

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry can I ask a stupid question, like how exactly do you get this running in dosbox? It never seems to get past the menu screen, I don't think it's reading my cd properly. Thx

xdantespardax