VOGONS

First post, by sallen48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Background: Tie Fighter program (dos version supplied on floppies). OS is XP, Sound Card is SB Live! Value (PCI). OS and Sound Card function perfectly in XP. Tie Fighter setmuse.exe program detects music and will play music however the setmuse.exe program detects sound card but will not play sound effects. Error is "Unable to open test file " testwave". I've tried all the sb options in doxbox and have dosbox set currently to sbpro1, sbbase-220, irq=7, dma=1, hdma-5, sbmixer=true. I've played with these setting to match the options in setmuse.exe but all resulted in the testwave failure. I've changed cycles from auto to 2000 since I read a post that someone stated that could help, again it did not.

Suggestions: I'm open to suggestions. Any ideas? Have not played this game in 15 years and thought it'd be a hoot to play again.

Reply 2 of 5, by sallen48

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

loaded program from floppies (5 total). Installation went fine, no issues. Executing tie.exe from dosbox functions as well, just no sound effects. I didn't install the 5 floppies from within doxbox and that perhaps is my next step, but I'm doubtful that will make a difference.

Reply 3 of 5, by TomJeffersonJones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
sallen48 wrote:

loaded program from floppies (5 total). Installation went fine, no issues. Executing tie.exe from dosbox functions as well, just no sound effects. I didn't install the 5 floppies from within doxbox and that perhaps is my next step, but I'm doubtful that will make a difference.

Installing from within dosbox is a good idea. use the same mountings for installation and gameplay. there's nothing special about the sound in tie fighter relative to other games so getting it to work should be no problem. I'm running it through an Audigy 2, with SB16 for digital and General MIDI for music. Works like a charm...

Reply 4 of 5, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried actually playing the game? I recall having that error way back when (using real hardware...yeah...that far back) and, while setmuse refused to play the test sound, the game sounds worked fine...
Also, is the file physically there?
Testwave. 05/05/1995 20Kb in my case.
You might be missing the file, but sound might work nonetheless..why not try playing?

Bloodbat