VOGONS

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's impossible to scale the picture to 1280x1024 when using "vgaonly" as machine type. I mainly use these settings:

fullresolution=1280x1024
output=openglnb
machine=svga_s3
scaler=none

But there is one game that doesn't work with svga_s3 and only works with vgaonly: Ultima 8. (This game stalls when moving the mouse (CPU utilization drops to almost 0%), and since you move the mouse when you walk, fight and interact with objects, svga_s3 makes the game unplayable.)

However, with vganormal DOSBox will not scale the output and only get a small window at the center of the screen.

I tried various scalers (normally I use "none"), like normal3x and other 3x scalers, but nothing works with vgaonly. Setting aspect to "true" also won't have any effect.

Linux 64-bit, DOSBox SVN and 0.74.

Reply 1 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Strange that u8, doesn't work... But have you tried the other cards?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 5, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep, I tried every svga_ option available. With all of them, moving the mouse makes DOSBox go totally idle (nearly 0% CPU) and as a result the game stalls.

It's the only game where this happens. Anyway, the actual issue is why "vgaonly" has a fixed output size and isn't scaled, which is puzzling.

Reply 3 of 5, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Both are real issues 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Ultima 8 works fine here with default settings, which means machine=svga_s3. Tried the 2.12 patched version of U8, so you could try applying the patch if you haven't already. Maybe there's some platform issue that is causing the game to hang with other machine types, because the game doesn't really need vgaonly.

Reply 5 of 5, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was able to work around the issue by disabling the percentage mode (which is the default with cycles=auto and non real-mode games) and use fixed CPU cycles (about 20000 seem to work fine). 😜

Note that with percentage mode, *any* percentage has the problem, no matter if 10% or 105%.