VOGONS

First post, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I searched the forums but couldn't find the answer to this one.

I managed to install Windows 3.11 for Workgroups under DOSBOX. I want to use it to run a very old Windows game (it won't run under DOS). When I attempt execute the game it says it requires 256 colors, so I go back to Windows setup and attempt to install one of the 256 color videos but none of them work. Is there a trick to this? Since DOSBOX emulates DOS and I get 256 colors in DOS games, why cannot Windows 3.11 load a 256 video??

P.S.
Should I actually get this working, is there a shortcut I can make in a BAT file or something to load the game inside Windows without having to run it manually? I mean like "dosbox c:\windows\win.com -run wingame" or something like that? Sorry, I know that is two questions. The first is the most important.

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Use the s3 drivers in the guide and select 256 colors. Or elaborate the "don't work" part of your post.
There is a way to start a windows program like that, but I don't remember 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 8, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hazekel wrote:

Should I actually get this working, is there a shortcut I can make in a BAT file or something to load the game inside Windows without having to run it manually?

What I do is load the AUTOEXEC.BAT file from DOSBox. I edited it adding this at the end:

IF %1==SKIP GOTO END
IF %1==SETUP GOTO SETUP
WIN
GOTO END
:SETUP
CD WINDOWS
SETUP
:END

It helps automate installing S3 Video and Sound Blaster. You can add a shortcut in Windows 3.11 with "File > New > Program Item".
After "WIN" you can place the path to the program you want to run.
WIN C:\PATH\FILE.EXE

Reply 4 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok. I was finally able to get the video drivers working and I added the SB16 drivers, but when I start Windows 3.11 I get a continuous beep as the MIDI doesn't seems to be able to stop playing. How can I fix this? It appears to have something to do with the default MIDI drivers, but how do I change it. I already installed SB16 as per the DOSBOX installation instructions and it shows up in my Control Panel, apparently working except for the continuous beeps.

Sorry to be a pain, but it has been ages since I actually used Win3.11

Reply 5 of 8, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've haven't heard that happen. Usually it either works or you get no sound.

I extract SB16W3x.zip to C:\WIN311\A
MOUNT C C:\WIN311 -t dir -freesize 400
Then launch AUTOEXEC.BAT SKIP

Ignoring the part that gets shipped over the end of it looks like this.

IF %1==SKIP GOTO END
:END
CD A
INSTALL

During install it requests to replace a file so I select proceed.
When it's done F10.

Reply 6 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Continuous beep is SB16 drivers issue...
First I load drivers from creative.com and - beeps are here...
SB16 drivers from "dosbox guides" topic - no continuous beeps, all works perfectly...
Now I can at last test my "Critical Path" copy. 😀

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 8, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just had to change the IRQ to 7 from 5 and it worked.

Now the last question ... sorry to bug everyone ... is how to make a bat file that will start windows 3.11 and immediately run the game I have set up in Windows. Is that possible? It would be nice to just click a single button to start up everything.

Thanks

Reply 8 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

win %your_win311_program_name%.exe

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).