VOGONS

First post, by Sunnyhat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Problem:
So i've been trying to run my old Flashback in DosBox 0.74 and the game speed behaves VERY strangely. It's either (a little) too slow or too fast. Regardless of cycles i set. After an hour of testing i've come to the point where i found a magic number, at least for my system.

At (and up to) "cycles=fixed 6460" the game runs a bit too slow.
At (and over) "cycles=fixed 6461" the game runs too fast.

Choosing higher or lower cycles results in very little change in game speed (if any). I also tried numerous core/cputype combinations all with the same result.

My Specs:
CPU: Core i7 2600k @ 4Ghz
MoBo: Asrock P67 Pro3
RAM: 16GB DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GTX580
DosBox Version: 0.74

Question:
Has anyone else encountered this behaviour and maybe found a fix?

I've attached my dosbox.conf for further reference.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    10.76 KiB
    Downloads
    554 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not sure if it applies to what you're experiencing, but I have observed that Flashback attempts to adapt its timing to the speed of the system at startup. In other words, if cycles are low when you start the game, the game remains sluggish even if you subsequently increase cycles with Ctrl-F12 while the game is running. However, if cycles are "sufficiently high" at startup, the game speed seems fine; and I perceive no real difference between 7000 and 10000 cycle startup speeds.

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think I'm seeing the behavior you describe, going by the intro music. There's two speeds: slower and faster, with faster kicking in at a certain amount of cycles (haven't looked for the exact the hinge-point). The difference is there if you're looking for it, but I'm not sure I would have noticed if you hadn't mentioned it.

Since you appear to have a good sense for what is correct speed, I'm wondering if you would be willing to try playing Flashback with a modified build of DOSBox 0.74 to see if you perceive the same improvement with it that I do?

Reply 5 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

OK, this is only an executable, it needs the DLL files from the official 0.74 release. I don't think it makes the speed "perfect", but what I'm seeing is that the speed remains more-or-less constant with lower or higher cycles.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox_074_fb_test.zip
    File size
    1.13 MiB
    Downloads
    662 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yep, timing does indeed seem to be established at game startup.

The good news is that the DOSBox devs are aware of the issue, so maybe there will be a solution in future releases. I don't know if they're aware that the screen resize delay is having an impact on Flashback in particular, though.

Reply 8 of 8, by osmanvielma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sunnyhat wrote:

Problem:
So i've been trying to run my old Flashback in DosBox 0.74...

...At (and over) "cycles=fixed 6461" the game runs too fast.

Hi Sunnyhat, I just did what you did

"cycles=fixed 6461"

and it just got perfect speed!

as the video on youtube shows as right speed!

Thank you!!!!