VOGONS

First post, by exofreeze

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cyberball was a pinball game released in 98' by Midas Interactive. A demo version is available freely on the web.

In 0.74, after running the install the game appears to start just fine and everything looks and sounds great. When actually launching a table though, it flashes an error message extremely quickly and drops back to the main menu.

In debug mode it is constantly scrolling irq message from the sound card, so I'm not able to catch the error there either.

To make sure it was not a sound issue, I reinstalled the game w/ no sound setup (and also tried setting it up to run on gravis), however the same crash occurs in all three scenarios.

I am trying to figure out how to catch the error message. If the answer is to dump the debug status to a log, then I'll need instructions on how to do that, as I have not been able to get that to work in the past, nor do the scroll buttons in the status window ever seem to work.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Going by the demo version, it wants the install source drive to be a cdrom or it bails out at the point you describe.

install example:

mount d c:\cb_disc -t cdrom
mount c c:\dos
d:
cd cball
setup

run example:

mount d c:\cb_disc -t cdrom
mount c c:\dos
c:
cd cb_demo
cball

Reply 3 of 8, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Nope, and haven't searched beyond finding the demo, but maybe someone else on the forum will know. BTW, the game will apparently use MMX instructions, but fortunately it's not required.

Reply 4 of 8, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
exofreeze wrote:

Thanks. Are you familiar with any full versions? I'm not asking for links or anything - just verification that the game actually exists.

I can confirm there is a full version as I own a copy. 😀
Here is it on Mobygames: http://www.mobygames.com/game/cyberball-

Edit:

Hmm..., I tried to run it in Dosbox but it freezes during the Intel MMX screen no matter what I try. 🙁

Reply 6 of 8, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if Yhkwong's latest SVN would support the game, as it has a pentium_mmx cpu type.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 8 of 8, by Nick_Arrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game is really odd.
I have a physical copy of it but never managed to get it to work.
I have tried on a Windows 98SE and a Windows ME computer. None of them would start.
Also tried in on my XP computer, same result. As well as on two laptops, XP and VISTA.
Whats WRONG with this game? Can this game be run at all??
If someone have got it to work. Please describe how you did, please!