VOGONS

Daggerfall CVS Build by Ykhwong

Topic actions

First post, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Years ago I had a superb DOSBox 0.63 cvs build for Daggerfall by ykhwong (Tae-woong Yoo) which not only worked really well with Windows XP but smoothed out all the blocky graphics and text as well.

Now I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, I cannot get it to work properly with what was installed on my old hard drive. I have set everything to run as Administrator and given myself Full Control security settings in Properties, which usually works with old DOS games (EG those from GOG etc).

Anyone know if there is an updated version of this build for DOSBox 0.74 (or any other version) that works with Windows 7 64 bit? I think that at least if I can download the original and re-install it it might work, but I can't find the original files.

I tried http://ykhwong.x-y.net and I cannot download anything from there, but the old README.TXT from 2005 listed this as the official forum.

Any help most gratefully received.

Many Thanks

SB

~

Reply 1 of 31, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shadowblade wrote:

I tried http://ykhwong.x-y.net and I cannot download anything from there

And why is that? works for me at least.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 2 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No idea. Partly I can't see what I am looking for, which is a DOSBox CVS build specifically for Daggerfall. And sometimes the links come up blank.

Which is the best DOSBox version to use with Daggerfall?

I checked through some of my ancient documents and tried Google and the specific build I am looking for might be by Dagrooved1.

Unfortunately, the site he linked has been closed by the FBI!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I7E6YSM0

Oh dear!

I have the original CD from 1994 or thereabouts, and the 213 patch. I haven't tried re-installing it under Win 7, but it worked fine under XP3.

Cheers

~

Reply 3 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadowblade wrote:
Hi, […]
Show full quote

Hi,

Years ago I had a superb DOSBox 0.63 cvs build for Daggerfall by ykhwong (Tae-woong Yoo) which not only worked really well with Windows XP but smoothed out all the blocky graphics and text as well.

Now I have Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, I cannot get it to work properly with what was installed on my old hard drive.
~

DosBox 0.74 works really well with Windows 7 x64 and Daggerfall; as for text smoothing and such, perhaps you're looking for a scaler (look at the DosBox .conf file); maybe it was a Direct3D shader (builds I know of that support it: Ykhwong's, Gulikoza's and mine).

Reply 4 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Where could I get that? The one I was using (0.63) had dll files and stuff that DOS Box doesn't normally have. I have 0.74 for other gamnes, but this was a specific build that could not be used to run anything else.

I have several versions that run Daggerfall perfectly well, but I want the smooth graphics. It's a lot less pixilated and looks much better.

Yours will do if you can post a link!

~

Reply 5 of 31, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://ykhwong.x-y.net/

Though, outside of it's support for shader filters it's not going to help you resolve the pixelated graphics. Such is related to your configuration of DOSBox, where you likely have the available scalers disabled or set to one of the pixelated filters (i.e. normal2x, etc.).

Reply 6 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Shaders replace scalers, the first picture in the post shows the graphics with no shader or scaler, the second one is the same image (with a bit of the bottom missing due to Windows' stupid message) only using HQ2X shader and NO scaler.

Attachments

• Filename
    daggernoshader.png
    File size
    72.42 KiB
    Downloads
    135 downloads
    File comment
    Daggerfall with no shader or scaler
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    daggerhq2x.png
    File size
    413.54 KiB
    Downloads
    152 downloads
    File comment
    Daggerfall with HQ2X shader, no scaler.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, many thanks, I'll try that one.

The one I am using atm is a self-installer from a link at UESP Wiki, and I adjusted the conf file as usual. It just does not have the additional stuff I used to have.

It does smooth out the fonts but is too bright and blocky overall and a little jerky on my quad core i7 with an HD7970 and Win 7 x64. The one I used to have was much better even on a 233mmx, and also on my dual core 3.2 GHz with XP3. Totaly smooth to play, no jerking forward as I move.

Thanks for the help. I don't actually understand the difference between SVN, CVS, "Snapshots" etc and I like README files to say "download this, download that, install this, install that, edit this" etc step by step. I'm a bit thick like that, I don't like having to study for an hour or two to work things out, I like to "plug and play"!

Even the guide by Dagrooved1 said it was designed for a specific version of DOSBox and not the latest one, but he didn't say which version it was designed for!

That's as dumb as I am! Luckily, it was all packaged together.

Many Thanks for everyone's help!

~

Reply 10 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
VileRancour wrote:

the latest SVN Daum build (12.10.2012).

See, this is where these sites confuse me. That is listed under older releases and at the top it has links to "clean" SVN builds elsewhere. So where are the instructions for what to do?

Anyway, I'll try that one you mentined as there aren't any others.

Don't know if i need a "clean" build as well from http://www.emucr.com/ or one that uses glide and Direct3D support from http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/

Although the 0.63 build I had has glide files in it.

😕

~

Reply 11 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, that "Older Versions" turned out to be a link to older versions, not a section heading!

DUH! 😊

God, I am thick sometimes!

Anyway, the SVN DAUM (whatever that means) Installer has no sample conf in it, so luckily I downloaded the 20121210.7z as well.

But I tried using the hq2x.fx shader with no scaler and every time I press ESC and click CONTROLS the game freezes and I get error messages about it cannot find it, it isn't working or an illegal read. 😳

The old 0.63 build had this at the end of DOSBox.conf:

mount c c:\dagger
C:
Dosdag.bat

and dosdag.bat had this in it:

@echo off
set dos4gvm=@dagger.vmc
fall.exe z.cfg

But I have no idea what this means apart from fall.exe z.cfg and those other files are not there.

Maybe I should play Pagan? 😢

Does anyone have a link to a working conf file?

Cheers

~

Reply 12 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, this is hopeless, no matter what shaders or scalers I use, every time I click on CONTROLS in Daggerfall I get:

Warning: Illegal read from 191d2169, CS: IP 838 17a4e6

and dozens of other similar lines and the mouse freezes.

What does this mean?

Cheers

~

Reply 13 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I reinstalled everything and it works now, but is jerky and jittery.

The problem was that the Daggerfall installation has setups for French and US keyboards while I am using a British keyboard. So the controls I had in the saves I was using had already been remapped to keys that cause this error.

EG, for JUMP I use \ (which is to the left of Z), and for activating centre object I use the mouse wheel button.

Neither of these are allowed in this version of Daggerfall and the SVN-Daum, presumably as on US and French keyboards they don't exist.

So how do I change the keyboard layout and how do I enable the mouse wheel button? I have tried 3button mouse and intellimouse in thre conf.

These key mappings work in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim.

Many Thanks

~

Reply 14 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keyb uk

...at least for DosBox...for Daggerfall, I have no clue.
Thing is...the key next to the "Z" maps to the same character (\) for both UK and US mappings (the default I use for DosBox or DOS). I don't really think you need to change the mapping for DosBox. Scancodes will be passed to the game anyway, so...as long as you know it's there...it will work.

Reply 15 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know if scancodes is enabled, I'll check that.

I tried English and British for the keyboard in dosbox.conf, so I'll try UK. The only thing I can find for the mouse is to enable ps\2 emulation with the keyboard?!?

When I used "\" for jump earlier in Daggerfall, the box was blank, but "\" worked. When I try it now the screen goes black and that illegal read error fillls the DOSBox window. The mouse wheel button will not work at all, whereas before it appeared as M3.

When I re-map Jump to \ in Morrowind, it says something like "OEM124", so I assumed the US keyboard has a different character for that key, but apparently not. I like to have the keys I most need in easy reach, so I have

Forward = M1
CTRL = Sneak
Shift = Run
Z = ready weapon
X = cast spell
C = use item.

I've been donig this for all games that support it since Daggerfall first came out. I have to use ALT for Jump now.

I fixed the jerkiness by adding frameskip=2, so that's good.

Cheers!

~

Reply 16 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The mouse is not affected by keyboard mappings...sounds more like a problem with that version of Daggerfall or maybe Ykhwong does something funky with the mouse, I wouldn't know.
Or maybe it's the universe prodding me to suggest what you don't really want to hear:
Start the game over...config and all...maybe with a version from Bethesda...it includes a lovely PDF with instructions...of course that would break the plug and pray err..play mentality, but half of the fun of running DOS games has always been getting them to work (and learning DOS(Box)).
Backreading...why intellimouse? Besides probably being the Windows thingy, I just tested...mouse 3 (or m3) works out of the box when remapped IN the game.
Morrowind...being a Windows game and all that...reads keys different from how a DOS game would.

Reply 17 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I already re-installed and restarted, which is how I found out it was the remapping of Jump and Activate Centre Object to \ and M3 that was causing the freezes and error messages. I downloaded Ancestral Ghost's self extracting setup again and it's bigger than the older one I had. I could remap those keys in that version, but it froze with Ykhwongs SVN daum build and if I try to remap now it freezes.

I know the mouse has nothing to do with key mapping, but the keyboard section says this:

[keyboard]
# aux: Enable emulation of the 8042 auxiliary port. PS/2 mouse emulation requires this to be enabled
# auxdevice: Type of PS/2 mouse attached to the AUX port
# Possible values: none, 2button, 3button, intellimouse, intellimouse45.

aux=true
auxdevice=3button

But I have a usb mouse, anyway.

But M3 doesn't work. Must be something to do with the SVN-Daum as I'm sure it works with the daggerfallsetup, but the graphics are horrible.

Cheers

~

Reply 18 of 31, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, that mouse stuff must be specific for Daum...I know it's not in the official build.
Before witching about the graphics try it with an official, stable version and THEN if you manage to make it work the way you want it...try either Gulikoza's build or mine, both support Direct3D and don't fuck with the mouse.
I still recommend using the Bethesda official download if all else fails.

Reply 19 of 31, by Shadowblade

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I asked for a link to your build in post 5!

I'll try anything. It's not unplayable, I just prefer to pick things up and open doors etc with the mouse wheel button. i was having trouble for a while due to freezing when I clicked on controls in the game, but that's fixed now.

~