VOGONS

wing commander 3, wc armada, privateer

Topic actions

First post, by opti

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In armada i am gettings this error: EMS driver is not VCPI complaint and i cant run the game

In privateer i get this: Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace the option NOEMS with RAM

And for WC3 i get this error:
Exit in error: some addres

Can someone tell me how to run this games?

Reply 1 of 76, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

VCPI (And Paging) support is required for both Privateer and Armada. I'm not sure about WC3, but I suspect that is as well. It will come in time, but not with Dos Box 0.60. You can get Privateer to run with the latest CVS if you disable EMS, and enable Debugging, but my experimentations with that game have yielded less than stellar performance with it. Once again, be patient. I'm sure support will come in time.

Reply 4 of 76, by Nirvana

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well everyone, I've been searching the forum and trying a variety of things mentioned in them to get Wing Commander Armada to work. For starters, WC Privateer works fine, and so I have already set EMS, XMS, and IPX to "false" when trying Armada. When I try to start Armada, it just stalls DOSBox (I get no error message at all, but I get a blinking cursor in the line immediately below the line I just typed in. So, I read on in the forums, and tried Magamo's use of "loadfix -64 armada", which results in DOSBox closing (whether it's in a window or full-screen mode, it just closes DOSBox and sends me back to my Win XP desktop after using "loadfix -64 armada")).

Furthermore, I have tried going into Armada's install program to install it (this works for Privateer, but for Armada it wants the floppy disks, which I don't have anymore (I'm using copies obtained from Home-of-the-Underdogs and Frenchkiss.biz, and they both do the same thing)). Also in Armada's install program, I have no sound devices selected in order to rule out any sound issues being the cause of the problems. I have tried starting the game with Sound Blaster selected for both music and sound, and the same thing happens: it just sits there after I type "armada", or it terminates DOSBox when using "loadfix -64 armada".

I am running Windows XP on a 2 GHz Celeron, with 512 MB RAM, and I am using DOSBox 0.63. Thanks for any suggestions, and sorry for the lengthy post.

Teran - Nirvana

Reply 9 of 76, by marekzgdanska

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have Wing Commander: Privateer on my hard drive (C:), and I attempt to run it from dosbox. I do mount the C: drive, enter the directory, type in priv, and get the following message:

'Memory: Original Current Used
'NEAR 29516 28986 530
'FAR 376364 341020 35344
'HIGH 3521872 3495840 26032

Fatal error.

Error Code: D002-FFFF
Program halted by code.
JEMM unloaded.

And I'm returned back to the prompt. I have already set ems and xms to false, because I had an ems problem when ems was set to true. Xms seems to not have been a factor. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks,

Marek

Reply 10 of 76, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm almost positive that the problem is that you need to re-run the soundcard configuration program, and make sure you explicitly save the changes once you've selected your hardware.

I remember having the same problem after I downloaded it from Underdogs or whereever - first the soundcard wasn't configured properly for DOSBox, then I was quitting the config utility without saving the changes (because most such utilities save automatically on exit).

Reply 12 of 76, by Wiffle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the tips. Re -installing the music worked but no voices....I tried all the listed cards and I think every dma and irq config together believe. get same error code as before. Un-install voices, game works...(I still need to tweak it though...)
Was cool just to get to hear the music again.... Any suggestions would be helpful...

Reply 13 of 76, by Strahd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I'm having the exact same problem - I can get everything to work in Privateer except the voices...anyone know how to get to hear them? Help would be great, thanks.

-----------------------------------
Why wont it work!

Reply 14 of 76, by priestlyboy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The DISK version with the voice pack only added voices to the Intro if I recall correctly and possibly only certian points in the game. It is no where near the quality of the CD version of the game.

/Ieremiou

Ieremiou
----------
Helping Debug DOSBox.

Reply 16 of 76, by Magamo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I agree Alkarion... It always sounded to me like the guy doing the voice for the main character just could not for the life of him keep a straight face while reading his lines. It's too bad that they couldn't get the guy who did the intro from the original speech pack back for the CD version. The CD version's voice for the main character really makes him sound a little wussy. 😀

Reply 18 of 76, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A good rule of thumb when using any software, and before asking for help is:

1) Read the documentation
2) Read the documentation
3) Read the documentation

In this case, the DOSBox readme.txt

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions