VOGONS

First post, by iosd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

[Edit: The games are the original versions, not from the First Decade or some other compilation]
I've managed to install the DOS version of Red Alert using mounted images. But when I try installing the Counterstrike addon it always brings up a "Westwood Studios Licensing Agreement" and when I click Enter to continue, it just quits and goes back to the regular DOSBox black screen. Only difference is that the prompt says I am now in a different directory, 'cdromletter':>setup.
I've tried every setup.exe and install.exe on the CD- same thing.
Is there some thing I'm missing, a parameter, a setting?
Help would be much appreciated.

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Could be that your mountings screw the addon installation.
What are your mountings and commands you use to play?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by iosd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've tried 2 installations, after each one erasing everything and starting new so there would be no conflicts with old files.
First one was:

[dosbox.conf]
[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=8000
[autoexec]
mount F F:\
imgmount G <CD_1>.iso <CD_2>.iso -t iso -fs iso
G:
setup
I installed at F:\WEST.
(The second install was the same only the imgmount line had "-t cdrom" at the end.)

Then in order to run the game I would revert the "core" and "cycles" to auto (it wouldn't start otherwise), then:
F:\
cd west
ra

As for the Counterstrike image, I mounted, installed and (tried to) play just like I did with the 2 RA images. BTW, is it necessary to have one of the Red Alert CDs in the CD-ROM/mounted to be able to install CS?
All in all it doesn't go past the Licensing screen.

Reply 3 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Mount as c and d and try again (best install fresh to avoid any wrong path settings).
Some programs need a c drive without it they are lost. And tben others need to be installed on c...
So
mount c f:\
mount d cd1.iso...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No problem, great that this worked

Reply 6 of 7, by ClaudeSpeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I faced a similar issue when installing Counterstrike addon.
I mounted allied cd as D, soviets CD as E, counterstrike addon CD as F and aftermath addon CD as G.
I could install RA from allied CD and run the game. But I faced the same issue when installing counterstrike addon.

If I only mount counterstrike addon, I can install it.

So maybe it is mandatory to install from D.

Reply 7 of 7, by ClaudeSpeed

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I observed that Couterstrike and Aftermath cannot be installed if the other CDs (Soviet & Allied are mounter).
However, Countrike can be installed if Aftermath is mounted and vice-versa.
The CD drive letter is not important.
Once the game is fully installed, you can mount all the 4 CD and play missions from each and every CD.