VOGONS

First post, by kari23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hoping someone can help me...

I am trying to install Rayman Gold on my computer (which uses Windows 7). I have created a new folder for the game under users\kari\oldgames. I have installed the 0.74 version of DOSbox and have got as far as putting in the following commands:

mount c c:\users\kari\oldgames
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
d:\
dir

This has brought up the Rayman Gold directory screen, but when I type in ubisetup to install it, it comes up with the message 'This program cannot be run in DOS mode'.

I am not that computer literate so if someone can spell out what I have done wrong or how to get round this problem I would be really grateful!

Reply 1 of 12, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Kari,

you made nothing wrong, it's just that the setup program won't run in DOS/Dosbox because it's written for Windows 😊 .. I don't own Rayman Gold, but maybe on the CD there's an INSTALL.EXE or something..
The internet says that you could play it under DOS, so there should be an installer right away 😊

Reply 2 of 12, by kari23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I told you I wasn't very computer literate... 😖 When you say I could play it under DOS, does this mean that there's a different piece of software I could use to get the game working? Thanks for replying!

Reply 3 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

when on d: (so your last step)
type dir *.exe
and see if other names are listed aside from ubisetup.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 12, by kari23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so... I have tried both of your suggestions, and there only seem to be two options coming up: SETUP EXE, and UBISETUP EXE. There aren't any other .exe or .bat options. Neither of these work - I'm beginning to think I'm fighting a losing battle?!

Reply 7 of 12, by kari23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It does directly install into Windows once I have changed the compatibility to Windows 95. Once I try and open the game, however, it comes up with the error message:

C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
This system does not support fullscreen mode. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

This is the reason I tried to install it through DOSbox in the first place; however, is there another way to get round this error message?

Reply 8 of 12, by Vince.Bloodworks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sad thing I don't own Rayman Gold... otherwise I could try it out myself 😊
Please try the following:

Start dosbox. Mount your Rayman directory and try to run Rayman inside dosbox.
If that won't work, I can't help it 😒

Reply 10 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vince.Bloodworks wrote:

Start dosbox. Mount your Rayman directory and try to run Rayman inside dosbox.

That is what you need to do. "Your Rayman directory" in this case refers to the directory where the Windows setup program installed Rayman.

In particular, if the game was installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Rayman", then in DOSBox, you would type

mount c c:\progra~2
c:
cd rayman

However, I don't have Rayman Gold myself and there may be other steps necessary. GOG.com does have this game for sale in a neat pre-configured bundle if you don't want to bother with this.

Reply 11 of 12, by kari23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PARTIAL SUCCESS!! Very excited. It will now recognise what I am trying to do and load the game. Thanks!

Only problem now is that it says I need to install MSCDEX v2.1 or above, or alternatively I can load Rayman in limited mode and without music. Right now that is definitely a win, but it does have LIMITED VERSION printed across the screen when I play it...?!

Reply 12 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, you also still need to mount the CD-ROM (as you wrote in your first post) since the music is stored on the CD and is not copied to the hard drive.

If you want, you can make a BIN/CUE image of the CD on your hard drive (I like to use ImgBurn for this purpose) and then mount the image using the IMGMOUNT command.