VOGONS

Beneath a steel sky - CD version

Topic actions

First post, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to the compatibility database, BASS is now supported (as of dosbox version 0.61).
I was eager to try it out with dosbox (and yes, i know that ScummVM can run it as well), seeing if it could indeed cope with the game.
After running the install, choosing for Soundblaster as soundcard, i ran the game. It actually ran... until the introduction screens were over, that is. I get to see the Virgin-logo, the Revolution-logo, and then the screen saying "In Association With Gibbons", but after that, nothing... dosbox remains black.

Thinking it might be a sound problem, i wanted to see if I could disable sound, which was not the case. I tried the same with the two other soundcards which are selectable, but get the same results.

Does anyone know how someone actually got it to run under dosbox?

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 1 of 22, by Atrus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

BASS CD version runs PERFECTLY on DOSBOX 0.61(latest CVS) with sound and all. I have the US version but could this be the problem?!

Viva la Revolucion

Reply 2 of 22, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

latest CVS?
could you try running it with the stable dosbox 0.61 build?
(the one which can be downloaded from the website...)

maybe the game will "crash" at your place too,
and the latest CVS fixed whatever was causing it.

if it still performs nicely, do you have the default options of dosbox enabled?
how do you mount the cdrom? what options did you use for the install of BASS? please give me some details.

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 3 of 22, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Beneath a steel sky also works 100% on scummvm, revolution officially supports this and thus lets you download the full cd version with scummvm for free! How nice eh 😀
www.scummvm.org
http://www.revolution.co.uk/ <= bass free download

Reply 5 of 22, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

BASS started fine (the intro and factory scene) with the official stable release of DOSBox 0.61 (no tweaks in the configfile) on my computer with Windows XP. It worked with a standard install procedure + Sound Blaster/Adlib for sound. The directory with SKY.BAT file was created and the file PHQGHUME.AYL appeared in the mounted games directory (root).
It worked even without the standard installation, running SKY.EXE from the CD instead of INSTALL.EXE seems to be sufficient. The game created automatically STEELSKY directory for savegames and the file PHQGHUME.AYL and immediately started with sound and all. My CD version is from the European Union with the Revolution/Virgin logos on the box.

Attachments

• bass.jpg
    Filename
    bass.jpg
    File size
    18.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 6 of 22, by Atrus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I confirm that BASS(US version) runs great (intro and in-game) with official DOSBOX 0.61, with the default config file and with any type of soundcard(even Roland) and installation type! I can't figure out why it's not working for you Dark Knight!

Viva la Revolucion

Reply 7 of 22, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*duh* at my previous post hehe
Anyway -> Maybe it's a cd problem? If so try to run that same version with scummvm and see if it will run on there if you haven't tried it. Otherwise, make an iso and mount it maybe? See if that changes things

Reply 8 of 22, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

first of all, it seems to run flawlessly in ScummVM.
the intro... ingame... splendid... not a single problem.
(if you wish to know, ScummVM indicates i got version 0.0368 of the game)

anyway, i tried some more things...
first of all, i found out that the "black screen" i had, which i refered to as "crash" is not an actual crash.
if i press Esc during the black screen, the game is so kind to actually skip the intro and start with me on top of that bridge, the game's start.
however, with or without having the game installed, i have the same issues... the "black screen" issue, and (i've just noticed) i don't have ingame speech. (and yes, i did select speech in the options menu of BASS itself.) i do have music though.

elaborating on the black screen... it won't go away after a while, so it's not like the intro is played but i just can't view it... it's more like... it can't play the intro. might be related to the "no speech" issue.
(pc can't run speech, intro needs speech... thus intro not working?)

could you post which files your versions of BASS obtain?
and the size of them? maybe something's not like it should be. :\

thanks for all the quick response, btw... appreciate it.

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 9 of 22, by Manias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heya!

I've got the scummvm official blahblah version but that only works with scumm they took the exe out.. you might want to try to download that n run the exe of your version in it or something. Maybe that works 😜

Reply 10 of 22, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i doubt that'll work, actually.
i mean, the intro IS there. including voices.
scummvm detects all those, it seems... so _that_ file is probably okay.
must be something else, right?

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 11 of 22, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you view your Sky.rst on the cd you see:

08/10/9415:09:47(C) Revolution Software Ltd 1993. System 2 written by David Sykes and Tony Warriner

All PC code (bar music drivers) written by David Sykes

Version 0.0372

So please paste your info so we could check whether any of us has your version

Reply 13 of 22, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

version 0.0368
scummvm told me that, and SKY.RST mentions the same.

_______________ SKY.RST _______________
07/07/9416:13:32(C) Revolution Software Ltd 1993. System 2 written by David Sykes and Tony Warriner
All PC code (bar music drivers) written by David Sykes
Version 0.0368

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 14 of 22, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry for reviving an old topic like this, but...

i got it all to work!
first of all, i copied all the data files to my harddrive...
after doing that, i installed the game.
i looked at the newly created .BAT file and it said something strange, (and upon execution it made dosbox crash) but it seemed as if it tried to open sky.exe with the newly created .CFG file as tag.

then i copied the .CFG file to the directory of where i copied the data files...
then running sky.exe like this "SKY.EXE SKY.CFG" it runs beautifully!
i mean, the entire intro works... speeches... everything.

i guess the install was just corrupted... well, the .BAT file it created certainly was. it created this:
=================
C:
SKY CFG=C:\SKY2
=================

can someone email me their own install-files (INSTALL.EXE and INSTALL)?
i'm guessing this is the only thing wrong with my CD... seeing how it created a faulty SKY.BAT file.
email is: ssstolk _at_ hotmail _dot_ com

thanks in advance.

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 16 of 22, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i know that.
i just want to get it all working under DOS too.
you could call it nostalgia, i guess.

... // bda. very bda!

Reply 17 of 22, by adventur

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's weird, I seem to have some similar issue regarding Bass CD version, after the revolution logo all I get is a black screen, when I press ESC I can then launch the game, but I get no speech even tho I change the audio settings to do so, I'm also wondering if there is a way to use both Roland midi & SB audio at the same time

Reply 18 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoa, necropost. Took me a minute to realize that this was an ancient thread.

Anyways, I'd recommend tryng SCUMMVM. If you're adamant about DOSBox, make sure to use the latest CVS and ensure that you are mounting the CD correctly.