VOGONS

First post, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Having the weirdest issue with the DOS MK games, and I've noticed that it occurs on the GOG versions as well (mine being the retail).

When configured so that the game itself runs smoothly, the round timer moves incredibly quickly, instead of one second per second like it should. I then tried slowing it down, but the graphics would start glitching out and the game speed become unplayable before I even saw any effect on the round timer's speed whatsoever.

Oddly enough, the countdown timer after defeat runs at the correct speed.

Anyone have any ideas regarding what the cause could be?

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 2 of 7, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

CPU Cycles?

No, that's what I meant by "slowing it down". CPU Cycles seem to have no effect on the round timer speed.

4-in-1 build (thanks Phil!): AMD K6-III+ 450 / SOYO 5EMA+ / 128MB SDRAM / 80GB Seagate HDD / Voodoo 3 3000 / Orchid Righteous 3D / Sound Blaster CT2960 / MPU-401 PCMIDI Clone / HxC Floppy Emulator / 15" CRT monitor

Reply 4 of 7, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodbat wrote:

And that's what I meant...what are you using?

Well, for MK2 I use 20000, for MK3 and Trilogy, 30000.

Any slower and they start to become laggy, though the round timer remains at the same speed.

Reply 6 of 7, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the only issue here is a wrong assumption. The round timer in all the MK1-2-3-Trilogy games does not advance at one unit per second, but more like 2 units per second. I tested and confirmed it on real DOS, DOSBOX and MAME-emulated arcade versions as well. The countdown after defeat is much slower, and it's normal.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 7 of 7, by Staticblast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dr_st wrote:

I think the only issue here is a wrong assumption. The round timer in all the MK1-2-3-Trilogy games does not advance at one unit per second, but more like 2 units per second. I tested and confirmed it on real DOS, DOSBOX and MAME-emulated arcade versions as well. The countdown after defeat is much slower, and it's normal.

Hmm. I think you may be right. I just found a video of a guy with original arcade hardware, and the timer counted down fast there as well.

Which means I'm running MK1 too slowly, since the round timer there IS tied to the cycles.

Thanks!