VOGONS

Dragonsphere

Topic actions

First post, by Staticburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem installing dragonsphere with dosbox. I'm sure the game would run fine if i could install it but i can't install it cause it requires dos for that and it doesn't work with windows xp. whenever i mount the c drive the c button disappears out of the install it has all the drives from c to x provided none of them are mounted virtually but when they are mounted its as if they were all filled with space so i can't install in them.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated

Staticburn

Reply 1 of 13, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think we may have discussed this before. I think I finally wound up manually installing it. I know it must be installed to a directory labeled Mpsdisc.007, but I know there is more to it than just copying the files. I literally think I got my copy working by accident, so I honestly don't remember the procedure I used, but I did manually install it, rather than using the install program. I then ran it from DOSBOX 0.61 (it won't work with 0.60).

Reply 3 of 13, by Staticburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the problem with dragonsphere is that sometimes it doesn't even work even on the proper platform i tried installing it on my friends windows 98 computer and on one with 95 and they both had the problem with memory id be able to get to the opening menu screen but id click play dragonsphere and this error message would pop up saying computer memory too low to play game so i dunno:S

i tried copiing the files myself and runnin it in dosbox but that didn't work either isn't there any way to mount c:\ so instead of detecting it as a directory it would detect it as a physical harddrive? i think that would fix a lot of problems.

Reply 4 of 13, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is a copy of the BAT file I run through DOSBOX

dosbox.exe C:\DS.BAT -c "mount c c:\" -c "mount e e:\ -t cdrom"

DS.BAT is another BAT file I created which simply reads

e:
menu.com

The game then runs through the menu on the CD-ROM and uses the directory you manually created on Drive C. The catch is that I cannot remember how to tell the CD where your directory is. There must be a config file somewhere. As far as I can tell it is in directory c:\mpswhere and has a file called Mpsdisc.007. That file, I assume, is what tells the CD what directory the game has been installed to, although I do not remember how I got to edit it.

Reply 5 of 13, by Staticburn

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok dragonsphere still can't detect harddrive space properly and i've gotten ver 6.2 and tried to mount my hard drive space as a certain size but dragonsphere still won't install it says theres 0 space on the harddrive and it needs 0 space to install:S

Reply 6 of 13, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay. Try this and follow the instructions carefully.

1. MANUALLY copy the files to a directory entitled C:\MPSDISC.007

2. Next, create a directory C:\MPSWHERE

3. Next, make a txt file reading simply "C:\MPSDISC.007"

4. Next, rename the text files MPSDISC.007 (make sure the extension is NO LONGER .TXT but .007

5. Next create a .bat file in c:\ which should read:

e:
menu.com

Of course e: = the label of your CD drive.

6. Finally, load DOSBOX 0.60 (I haven't tried 0.62 but 0.61 doesn't work). Make sure that both drive c:\ and your cd-rom are mounted. Then run the bat file.

Let me know how this works.

David

Reply 8 of 13, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You guys may be wasting your time.
You may have a bad download of Dragonspere! I had trouble just playing a copy I found, it would crash after choosing to start a game.
I tried all sorts of tricks with the Dosbox condig, the "dragon.bat" and a few other things.
Then I put it aside and went on to test hundreds of other games. I came upon a version somewhere else and it worked just fine.

Attachments

• Dragonsphere.gif
    Filename
    Dragonsphere.gif
    File size
    154.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 13, by Hazekel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can see this game is a pain to a lot of people (to get running). Well, I got a new computer and copied everything exactly as it was on my old system. The problem is that when I run it, I get the error

Error "-32" in module "5" data : 0 0

Most recent memory check : 464020
Most recent DOS error : 2
Stack use indicator : 10093

I have changed the values of MEMSIZE in DOSBOX.CONF but it makes no difference whether I try large or small. Please help on this.

Note, the permanent thread on how to DRAGONSPHERE to work does not help. Mine is the ROMZON CD edition. It is a legitimate copy from some old retailer and not from the internet.

Thanks

Reply 13 of 13, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

DOS error 2 is file not found.

Maybe the game is not installed properly, or the original media is not mounted properly when running, or a config program was not run, or the game is not being launched in the proper way.