VOGONS

First post, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I decided to boot up some KQ7 today and during the intro sequence, something struck me as odd, as I seemed to remember hearing Valanice talk at the beginning, saying something like "where am I?" and then something about finding her child. Well, for whatever reason, not only do I not hear a voice, but there is no talking animation.

Originally I had switched over to SC-55 but I changed back to sound blaster pro for testing, and sound effects were also set on sound blaster. Here's my DOSBox conf file, if necessary. Also, for reference, I have one of the collection cds which I used with Collector's installers to install this game, so it should have whatever patches he included with it. Is this some setting I may have changed and simply am making an oversight, or is something else going on here?

Edit: Found the answer. Reinstalling the game with Collector's installer fixed the problem, so I looked at differences between the older version that wasn't working, and the fresh install. In the older version's resource.cfg, I found this line:

resAUD = <INSTALL>\aud

Instead, it should be

resAUD = .\

I have no idea how this changed as I certainly never manually changed this line. Could this have been done by playing around in the setup program when I was changing music/sound drivers or something like that? I don't see how; it doesn't give me any options to change directories... Anyways, problem solved, but if anyone has a theory as to how this might've changed I'd be glad to hear it. I did also install these midi fixes after using Collector's installer, but doing this didn't cause the voices to stop working.

Reply 2 of 3, by lukeman3000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

What does the RESOURCE.CFG on CD say?

directory = \sierra\kqc\kq7d
videoDrv = VESA.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
cmd = KQ7
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness= 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

Reply 3 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just the stock one. No idea. The path is set by the installer., which in the case of the original one should end up pointing to the CD.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers