VOGONS

Delta V

Topic actions

First post, by q_dmc12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there,

I've been reading around Google link results that DeltaV is in full support with Dosbos but have never been able to run it 100%, successfully. Currently, I am attempting to run it from an official CD on Dosbox 0.74, in a Lubuntu 16.04_4 LTS distro. I have downloaded and installed the d.exe copy protection file, and that got me to a brief title/loading screen and then this error (in commandline): ERROR <9873>

I did a quick Google search for the error with parameters such as deltav and dosbox - came up with nothing. Running this game even on original hardware is a sort-of "great, white buffalo" of mine, any aid in running this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
q

Reply 1 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Since you've written nothing about how you mount drives or install the game, the only advice at this point is to follow the 60 Seconds Guide in the guides area of the forum.

Reply 2 of 12, by q_dmc12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seeing as I was always unable to "install" the game, I did what the install was going to do anyway - I copied the content of the CD to a folder of the required directory name. I mounted that directory as C to run the game after mounting the cdrom.

Note: in the photo I initially did not include the "-t cdrom" argumement for the mounting of D: but did so later.

Attachments

• DELTAV-INSTALL.png
    Filename
    DELTAV-INSTALL.png
    File size
    15.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Please elaborate on "unable"; what exactly happens when you attempt to install?

Proper installation is important; it does not simply copy files to the hard disk; it creates a sound configuration file and a batch file to start the game. With the mount commands in your screenshot (do add a "-t cdrom" switch on the D drive mount), you would then use the following commands to install:

D:
INSTALL

I suggest using the default C:\DELTAV_CD install path, and then configure the sound options (SoundBlaster 16 for both sound and music is easiest).

Reply 4 of 12, by q_dmc12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

These files are created when I select my compatible sound and music options. However, "Install Game" is always greyed-out.

Attachments

• DELTAV-INSTALL-No2.png
    Filename
    DELTAV-INSTALL-No2.png
    File size
    28.38 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 5 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You can just ignore the greyed out option. The install program has done everything that needs to be done (create the .CFG and .BAT file), so you can exit the install program and run the DELTAV batch file to start the game.

Reply 8 of 12, by q_dmc12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the past half hour I've been doing some tinkering, I've found that I can run d.exe with the cd mounted and it runs, but without sound. So that's what the "@D ..." in the batch file (DELTAV.BAT) means. I thought maybe it's an issue with running off the cd, so I tried to tweak the batch file to run the game from the mounted C: drive - that didn't work.

Attachments

• DELTAV_onC2.png
    Filename
    DELTAV_onC2.png
    File size
    16.4 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DELTAV_onCwithDexe.png
    Filename
    DELTAV_onCwithDexe.png
    File size
    124.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • DELTAV_onC.png
    Filename
    DELTAV_onC.png
    File size
    118.41 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 9 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The error 9873 is an issue when you MOUNT the disc; the host doesn't report the timestamp of one of the files on the disc correctly. The game is apparently checking the time stamp as a CD-check. However, the issue does not occur if you use IMGMOUNT to mount an image of the disc in DOSBox.

There is a patch on www.shdon.com that removes the CD-check, but you will have to edit the DELTAV.BAT file so it runs the patched file on the C: drive instead of the unpatched file on the disc.

Reply 10 of 12, by q_dmc12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I wasn't completely clear in my original post. I've already downloaded this file, copied the contents of the CD to a folder on my HDD and mounted it in Dosbox. I am currently trying to modify my DELTAV.bat file.

EDIT:

Okay, I believe I've got it to work. By modifying the DELTAV.BAT file, removing the "-Ssbdig.adv" argument from D.EXE. No errors or hickups yet and with sound! 😁

This also works for running directly off the CDROM, no patch needed. I'll have to upload and link a video of the process. I kinda feel dumb now for creating the thread but I hope this helps someone else in the future.

mounting.png
Filename
mounting.png
File size
16.2 KiB
Views
File comment
Mounting for cdrom and c:
File license
try.png
Filename
try.png
File size
108.74 KiB
Views
File comment
Mounting for running off HDD
File license

Attachments

• RunningOnCdrom.png
    Filename
    RunningOnCdrom.png
    File size
    50.52 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • OK.png
    Filename
    OK.png
    File size
    168.1 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 11 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Easier to just mount an image of the disc to install and run the game normally; no patches needed, no manual copying or editing of files. The game was never intended to be run from the hard disk, so if you do that then you have to fight with it.

Reply 12 of 12, by q_dmc12

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can do both, with surprisingly minimal effort. For some reason I thought this was more in-depth. When reading the Readme on disk, it says that it copies many files needed to run the game. Which I assumed meant copying many files from the disk to the hard drive.

I uploaded a video of setting it up and running it. There's still an issue with there being no sound effects but it's a cool sound track. Here's that video:
https://youtu.be/vX_MOshtHD8

PS - Thanks for the info on the error. 😀