VOGONS

First post, by r1f1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With an old pc I can connect the controller of the robotic arm directly because it have a RS32 port and I can use dosbox to execute the controller program, the problem is that when I use another pc, with the same configuration of dosbox, with an usb serial adapter the controller program give me an error that it can't connect to the robotic arm. I know that the usb serial adapter works because I can connect the robotic controller using c++ or gnu octave. Then look at it quite I think that the problem is in how I write to the .conf of dosbox that the serial comunication is through an usb serial adapter instead of being directly from the port. The point could be to change this line "serial1=directserial realport:com1" but I don't know how I can do this.

Reply 1 of 2, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Without mentioning the "DOSBox IS NOT SUITED TO RUN YOUR NON-GAMING DOS APPLICATION" thread, this looks interesting. 😘

There is a game called the Settlers, which has a multiplayer with two mice, one has to be serial, and it seems like this worked for some people with the right adapter. Just search for "settlers" and "mouse" or "mice" on this forum. I struggeld with that once.

You can look at the status of your serial port in Dosbox with a program called mode.com, it's part of FreeDos. Someone on this forum claimed, you can also change the baudrate and other values with that, if that is the problem....
http://www.freedos.org/
http://help.fdos.org/en/hhstndrd/base/mode.htm

good luck

Reply 2 of 2, by r1f1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally I could solve the problem.
First, the fact is that I already knew that Dosbox worked on this program because I had used it with the old computer that had serial port.
As Roger Wilco says dosBox works with the correct adapter, since looking in the forum I saw that the dosbox does not work well with the Prolific driver so I used another adapter with this driver "DIGITUS USB 2.0 serial adapter" since the adapter driver that I used I did not find it, and to my surprise it worked correctly.
Thanks for the support