VOGONS

First post, by Kronin72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello , i am having an issue with the mouse playing dune 2 the building of a dynasty. The mouse works but for some reason i can't select multiple units , there is no white rectangle when holding left mouse button

Reply 2 of 9, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's funny 🤣. I once went back to Dune 2 many, many years later, much like this, and could not believe I dealt with its interface gleefully. It was so innovative for its time, but I almost can't play it now after being spoiled by so many newer RTS titles.

Reply 3 of 9, by jaZz_KCS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How could you forget that "Reporting." "Acknowledged." "Reporting." "Acknowledged." "Reporting." "Acknowledged." "Reporting." "Acknowledged."
... was an essential part of the game. That or you are visiting it for the first time.

Reply 6 of 9, by CrossBow777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think Dune: Battle for Arakkis on the Genesis/MD does allow the multi-unit selection. I might need to pop that back in and go through that again.

g883j7-2.png
Midi Modules: MT-32 (OLD), MT-200, MT-300, MT-90S, MT-90U, SD-20

Reply 7 of 9, by Roger Wilco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This thread made me revisit both, Dune 2 and Dune 2000. I really love the graphics of Dune 2 and prefer it over Dune 2000, but having to select every single unit is a little too old school, for my taste. 😎
It's not flawless, for example you can bomb the enemy base without a reaction of the CPU if you manage not to trigger one of the units in that base. But I have the feeling, Dune 2000 is much better than Dune 2, in that aspect. At least I remember exploiting that weakness a lot in Dune 2 and it didn't happen a single time now with Dune 2000.

A couple of days later I found myself in the last level with Harkonnen 😊
Level 8 was incredibly hard, that hard in fact, that I thought it must be a bug 😳
Anyways, a generous number of gun turrets fixed that bug. Just like in the old days. Lots of fun 😁

Reply 8 of 9, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
CrossBow777 wrote:

I think Dune: Battle for Arakkis on the Genesis/MD does allow the multi-unit selection

Nope, you can only order units to follow one another around, so if you have multiple units following one leader you can "kind of" move the entire group in one click.

This is actually in the PC version too, except that units drop the follow order as soon as the "leader" stops moving.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 9 of 9, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Selecting multiple units by dragging a rectangle over them was a feature that was introduced by Blizzard in Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, the first game in the Warcraft franchise. It was such an improvement in terms of playability, that Westwood quickly adopted it in their RTS games as well, starting with the original Command & Conquer. But Dune II pre-dates Warcraft.