VOGONS

First post, by Erin

User metadata

Can someone help me please, im trying to run International Rally Championship in DOS mode because its an old game and wont work on Windows XP. Im trying to use DOSbox so that I can play my game, but I have no idea how it works. Ive tried using a patching thingy that i downloaded to "crack" the game or something. I try running the patch in DOS and it tells me to press any button and i do and it just comes up with "Cracking aborted!!!"

Please someone just tell me what I have to do to get this game working because its driving me nuts! Ill be so greatful for someone who has answers!

Reply 2 of 8, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, this is a perfect sample how a message should NOT be written... Bad forum DOSBOX General), bad title (Help me please !!!!).

I will rename it and move it.

Mirek

Reply 3 of 8, by Erin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

But it IS the original game, its the CD! Im just trying to see if it works in DOS mode, which it wont, and it wont work on WinXP. I just dont know what to do. And when I try to use the Program Compatibility Wizard, the game freezes and comes up with a "Guru Meditation" error.

And pardon me about the title name and "bad forum writting", i dont normally go on forums.

Reply 4 of 8, by Rithas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a real life friend of hers i can vouch for the fact she has the game itself. It runs on a different computer that I *think* is running ME, but not the XP box.

I'm trying to get her to post a pic of the CD case and CD as proof, but she's a bit put off by her rude treatment.

Yes she's a newb to the forums and should've read the forum titles to know where to post. But that definitely could've been phrased a bit more politely.

Not to mention the only other post is accusing her of piracy with no proof whatsoever.

Reply 5 of 8, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The problem is that quite often there are people who post something along the lines of "Like, I downloaded/stole this game and I can't get it to work. So fix it for me now!" or "Where can I download all those free games you have listed?" (in reference to the compatibility charts) so a number of people have got annoyed about them. And would prefer not to deal with such individuals. And aren't interested in being polite with them.

I was thinking about posting last night about how people who use cracks aren't necessarily pirates (I, myself, have used them to get Windows games that I own, running with Wine), but I decided not to, mostly because with the forum change plus name change, I wasn't sure anyone would ever see it again.

The best bet would be to look through the README for ways of mounting the cd so the copy protection can see the cd. (assuming that's the problem-a little more detail about why a crack is needed in the first place would help)

Reply 6 of 8, by Rithas

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As near as I can understand the problem, it's an old dos based game that won't run in winXP (tried the compatability options all that jazz). Asking around I was told to have her try dosbox.

I had her install it, after what happened after that she'll have to post that herself.

Reply 7 of 8, by Erin

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is really annoying me now. I put the CD into the CD ROM, Install the game, go to Program Compatibility Wizard on XP so that old games can run, and then I get so far as the maker logo (Europress, who now only speciallise in educational games) and then freezes. I do Ctrl+Alt+Del and I get this "Guru Meditation" error. I just dont know how to solve this. Is there some sort of compatibility conflict or something?

And its not a DOS based game, its just that I was trying to see if it would work through DOS because it wouldnt run any other way. Its designed to run on Windows 95, but surely the Program Compatibility Wizard is supposed to support Win95 programmes/games....