VOGONS

First post, by ovvldc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using DOSBox with my built-in keyboards for many years, and never had any problems. Now I tried to use Remote Mouse Pro (there is a free version too) on my iPhone to connect a numeric keyboard to my Macbook. I need it to comfortably play Curse of the Azure Bonds, which doesn't use cursor keys.

Unfortunately, every key I press comes out as 'a' and this is not the case in other Mac apps. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix/bypass this problem? or is it a proper bug in either DOSBox or Remote Mouse?

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

try this build that is using SDL2 https://www.dropbox.com/s/kvhujmw1crygmow/DOS … VN.app.zip?dl=0 maybe that helps as SDL2 is better suited for up to date Macs. Just let me know, this built is not quite up to date.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 8, by ovvldc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the quick reply!

I tried your DOSBox SVN build and it had the same problem: only 'a' for every press on the remote keyboard 🙁. Also, I forgot to mention that I initially used DOSBox 0.74-3.

Reply 3 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

did you use the one in the link or the one in my signature? The one in the signature is NOT the one to try 😀

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Thanks for confirming ;(

Reply 6 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is this a common scenario? Wouldn't it make more sense to use a keyboard or a USB keypad?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Just tested the app itself and yes, it doesn't work correctly, why it doesn't is probably something you need to bring up with the developers of it. Point them at SDL and tell them it behaves weird with SDL apps (be it the old SDL1.2 app or the new SDL2).

BUT the most important issue with the app is that it doesn't keep "pressing" the keys. So it's almost useless for games that would need you to keep pressing the key. It doesn't do that. it only sends the key once and then you need to hit the key again and again. that's not really useable.
Sorry, get a proper keyboard with a numpad 😀
(or get Ukulele to create a custom keyboard layout to quote https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/110 … keyboard-in-osx

there is another solution: creating a custom keyboard layout! […]
Show full quote

there is another solution: creating a custom keyboard layout!

The free app Ukelele enables this to be done fairly painlessly. Simply place the numbers and any other keys you want to have access to, and select File > Install > Install For [Current User/All Users].

Once the layout is installed, add it to your input sources in  > System Preferences > Keyboard > Input Sources by clicking the + icon and finding your custom layout.

You can then have a couple options for switching between layouts. If the appropriate box at the bottom of that window is checked, you can switch with the mouse using the icon in the menu bar. Alternatively, you can set a keyboard shortcut to toggle between them by navigating to the Shortcuts tab of the same window, clicking Input Sources in the left-hand list, and double-clicking the shortcut you'd like to change.

Ukulele still exists so that is a way to do it)