VOGONS

First post, by braindead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm unable to play Doom with Gravis Ultrasound.

I tried to follow the steps and downloaded the drivers like shown in the description below:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.pc-freak.net/b … experience/amp/

After I did these settings on the DosBox configuration file and put the drivers into the right folder, I tried to enable Gravis Ultrasound in the setup configuration of Doom.
Unfortunetely I can't listen any Music.
I have no idea what exactly I need to do.

Reply 1 of 7, by braindead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the files from here:
https://mega.nz/#!PUAwXJgK!Mw9M7YUqEWtZPhxAcA … 4rkIwEhAg0cGoWc

The I changed the dosbox config file like this and moved the drivers to the folder ULTRASND.

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:ULTRASND

I does not work.

Reply 2 of 7, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
braindead wrote:
I downloaded the files from here: https://mega.nz/#!PUAwXJgK!Mw9M7YUqEWtZPhxAcA … 4rkIwEhAg0cGoWc […]
Show full quote

I downloaded the files from here:
https://mega.nz/#!PUAwXJgK!Mw9M7YUqEWtZPhxAcA … 4rkIwEhAg0cGoWc

The I changed the dosbox config file like this and moved the drivers to the folder ULTRASND.

gus=true
gusrate=44100
gusbase=240
gusirq=5
gusdma=3
ultradir=C:ULTRASND

I does not work.

"ultradir=C:ULTRASND" dos not designate a valid path. This must be a typo in the article. This path should be corrected to "ultradir=C:\ULTRASND"
Also make sure that "C:\ULTRASND\MIDI" directory contains all the necessary *.PAT files (about ~196 pat files)

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 4 of 7, by braindead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What driver package do you recomend?
I also used D-Fend Reliaded to designate the path
http://dfendreloaded.sourceforge.net/Download.html?lang=de

like in this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXIcABOnvZo&app=desktop

I have no Idea how to run GUS propperly.
What file do I need and how to designate the path for the drivers directory.

Reply 5 of 7, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you solved your problem "braindead"?

In advance is this DOSBox related or are you using real hardware?

Following is DOSBox related

It is in principles quite easy, DOOM uses the AIL2 drivers and ULTRAMID which all should be present in DOOM.WAD
there is no need to call ULTRAMID neither you need to specify any .ini it is as well present in DOOM.WAD.
(but you can alternatively and you can control ULTRAMID when you pass the arguments for ULTRAMID after DOOM.EXE, e.g. DOOM -16 -Dc:\doom\my.ini which should load 16 bit patches and rely on "my.ini" for the patch set)

You like to get that easy going, right?
So here's a running setup for you, it uses DOSBox ECE and supports Fluidsynth, GUS, SBFM (MT32).
It's all packed in a nice batch (wrapper) and you just have to select the soundboard you like to emulate.
Additionally it allows you to play all tracks from DOOM (i implemented even a MT32 version, but to use this for the game itself DOOM.WAD must be altered)

a lot of bla bla

I would have a special .ini for the GUS and DOOM in petto, but i didn't used it so far, this .ini will restrict the instruments the GUS can use to exactly those which are needed by DOOM to optimize memory usage, but this dude worked with a real GUS, a 256k release i guess, we can use a whole MB and won't need that. But it could be of interest if you have a large patch set (more as 4MB).

I see that you use "defend" personally i never even peeped into it, a special setup, DOSBox config, is in all cases the better solution as a "one size fits all" solution.
Likewise humans are different shaped, games are different shaped as well.
Apart from that there is no substitute for a special DOS game wrapper which uses images and sounds from the game itself.
Instead that you have to fiddle around with "defend" or similar you just pull the content of the zip to any directory and "press a button" (start a batch), that's what i like even if that costs me many hours to build it.

Recently it will cost me a couple of hours to make that ready because i changed a lot on my default DOSBox installation to run the games and most are "broken" now.
The only drawback (as far as this one) is that my setups depend on some third party software (no fear, all free to use), which is the reason why i have to revisit "DOOM", many programs which i used just a couple of months ago i tossed (that's why i'm not often here, i'm very busy recently but stumbled over your question and thought "i can help you").

As you can see it needs (obviously) a configured DOSBox with a "DOS" directory containing the software i need to build and run the "batch wrappers".
The advantage of this is that you can use my setup for any wrapper i will release, it might be changed but you can always download the latest working one.
And as i said most of all "press one single button" - that's the goal.

It will be DOSBox ECE because of the built in Fluidsynth and MT32, it will contain "Fatboy" as soundfont for Fluidsynth (fatboy is free to share, it will contain most probably an AWE font to just to show off how good or bad it sounded compared to the GUS, 1MB of soundfont can't sound as good as 4 or 8MB that's obvious no? It's in my humble opinion a very meager sound and i can't understand that some are hooked to the AWE, it's brittle and cheap and is to compare to the SB LIVE ROM font which has its charms yes but it's brittle and stiff. The AWE soundfont contains exactly the content of the AWE ROM. Fatboy is phat! it's imho the best you can get, i tried many, about 50 different but i always return to fatboy, "weeds" is fine for its size and also what is named confusingly "fluidsynth" is ok as well. I have to admit that especially for DOOM "weeds" soundfont is very good, just because of the electric guitars and the heavy drums, on the other hand strings will sound better with fatboy and synthetic sounds profit from "fluidsynth". As i said implemented will be "fatboy" but since it resides in a sub-directory "dobox\dos\soundfont" it's no big deal to use any of your like, to make that even easier i will name it to "dosbox.sf2" which will allow you to simply copy another over it so you don't have to change a single word in the batch), of course the GUS is present and working (only what is needed to play games in DOSBox). DOSBox ECE allows me to build these "all in one" bundles where you don't have to care for nothing not even for the meager MSWS MIDI sound.
I recommend not to use a large patch set for the GUS, release 4.11 (which i prefer) or "propatch lite". The guitars (which are important for DOOM) sound quite well and the only bad instrument i found so far is the muted trumpet, it sounds rather like a harp as a muted trumpet. Take care some patch releases i downloaded was "broken" they contained samples which are maybe broken due to repacking or whatever, however that's tard if an instrument has a broken sample it will crackle loud.
This can happen under some circumstances with wave files or maybe even with .RAW wave images (.SND for GUS). I.e. 7-zip isn't safe for such, use only .ZIP for waves else they can be corrupted when extracted, rarely but it can happen and 1 of 1000 is already enough to say no. 7-zip packs all in one long data stream i guess that's the reason for the issue.
It gains a bit compression due to this but it can lose bits, in case for a wave image they can't be reconstructed 1:1 sometimes. At least this is my experience with 7zip and waves and also 7zip themselves state that problems can appear and that 7zip isn't 100% safe it can fail under certain conditions. a possibility is a tarball or just zip it with no compression and compress the zip with 7zip this is safe since file and directory structure is kept by zip no matter what 7zip does to the single zip file.

FYI, the GUS is a bit "silent", means compared to MSWS it's only about 50% of loudness (while MSWS is far to loud and steady above 0dB), the digital sound is even less loud (it seems anyone liked to respect that the GUS is to loud and now it's half of the others - or less). Compared to SB 2.8 times; SB 100% equals to GUS 280% for digital playback, for MIDI it's about 140% as i evaluated to get a peak level of 0dB even for the loudest track i have on my HD, often it ranges about 200% to 300%). This means the SFX will be a bit silent if you run DOOM on the emulated GUS, but of course even about this you don't have to mind i prepped that too and the GUS digital loudness will equal to the SB loudness and the GUS MIDI will respect the loudest track in DOOM (eh, those 140% as i said).

In short terms, the download will be two seperate zipped folders, one containing DOSBox ECE and all what i need as environment, the other will contain DOOM and the files which belong only to DOOM. The intention is that you extract the content as it is to any directory of your choice as long as you keep the internal directory structure, means "DOSGAMES\DOSBOX\DOS\..." and "DOSGAMES\DOOM\...". I could make it more flexible now (recently i fiddle around with "STRINGS" and similar programs to work with env variables) but i don't see a real need for it.
It isn't the last word spoken, since quite a while i'm fixed on Commander Keen and this has priority, i have planned a different DOOM wrapper, similar to what i made for Keen, mouse support and whatever nice things but i didn't even started this yet for DOOM so it will be what i used, what you can see in my many clips i made from this wrapper.
In future music player and game will start with a single batch - recently it still uses two, one to play the game and one to play the music of doom.

The GUS can be problematic - but there should be no issue for GUS and DOOM, ULTRAMID works very well, better as all later releases.
As an option you can run DOOM with MegaEM, but it isn't to recommend, MegaEm uses only 22kHz 8bit downsampled patches, you can't configure it to use something better.
ULTRAMID uses by default 22kHz 8bit patches but can be told to use 16bit quality, overall ULTRAMID AIL2 sounds better even better as the latter AIL3 even when natively supported. It's more flexible because it is a TSR which handles the MIDI stream, you can make a specific .ini for each game - which IS the case for DOOM, it is to find in DOOM.WAD, but as i already said you can make your own one and pass this as option to DOOM.EXE itself just like DOOM.EXE would be ULTRAMID it accepts exactly the same options. One difference there is, ULTRAMID loads patches for all instruments which appear in the game, if there is no space left it can't load certain patches (the reason for the special .ini), unlike MegaEm, MegaEm will load the patches for each track in the game, but the restriction to 8bit over weights this imho.
However 😀 my setup will allow you to try both, native ULTRAMID support or MegaEm. In practical use this means using ULTRAMID it can be that a patch isn't loaded and you will probably wonder when you run the same music with MegaEm where that instrument comes from which was missing before.
I will offer the custom made ULTRAMID .ini together with DOOM but it won't be standard (i guess, i will see... personally i use a "load all patches under any condition" .ini and for DOOM there seems no problem if you have 1MB to store the patches in, DOOM uses mostly the same instruments over and over, it might have been an issue on low specced cards with 256k memory, we have a "crazy" full MB in DOSBox, the 4.11 patchset is about 6MB but that's no problem because of the 196 patches you will need only about 30 for DOOM, i can almost count them at my right hand, guitars, bass, strings (a lot of pizzicato strings - that leaves blisters on your fingers), std drumset, ooh's and aaah's and a often used "guitar fret noise" that's almost all)

That certainly sound all much more complicated as it will be for you to run the game and playback the sound on the virtual GUS.

HOWEVER
Give me a couple of hours to make it ready for you.

There is of course the chance that you run it on real hardware?
Then toss all this because this really only works with and in DOSBox.

maintainer of "Phoenix" (Pioneer Space Sim derivate)
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/phoenix … erivate.506984/

Reply 6 of 7, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

nicht ganz so aufwendig gestaltes logo (ich bin nicht wichtig - DAS SPIEL IST WICHTIG) aber so sieht das bei mir aus 😉
Respektive so hört es sich GUS bei mir an.
---
not so elaborate logo (I'm not important - THE GAME IS IMPORTANT) but that's how it looks with me 😉
Respectively that's what GUS sounds like to me.
https://youtu.be/UNssBsPfMQk

good news:
it works better as expected and should really cost me only little time, everything runs only some minor changes needed.
mostly because the DOSBox setup i use as "portable" is still in the state it was when i worked on DOOM.
But that's OK, an update to my latest crap can still follow.

Back then i had the idea to use rad gametools (miles) digplay for speech and sfx but it's not as good or practical, i'm still uncertain in this recently i use again GUS playfile for the samples, even if it has a major drawback (which i start to count as issue of DOSBox, goddammit a thousand times i have read that "PLAYFILE IS ONLY LIMITED BY SPACE ON YOUR HARDDISK" nonetheless it refuses to playback more as 128kB, i tried almost any release of it and the issue stays. Recently i use SBPLAY, it's a good player quite "new" (1998) with a GUS like GUI but hmmm.... it can freeze DOSBox together with ANSI art, the DOOM wrapper hasn't such (yet) and the problem only appears if you repeat a sound a hundred times, but imho something should work even a 101th and a 1001th time flawless - and if i don't find the reason for it i can get very mad).

This will be a sort of pre-release, it is what i set up a half a year ago for DOOM a future release will support mouse and have a neater menu like look.
Besides the pack will contain both DOOM and DOOM II if you don't mind (i was up to implement HERETIC in the same parenting directory but i didn't came this far because of Commander Keen, this kid robbed all my time, 🤣).

I just have to find a way to offer that to you without to break the forums restrictions (i don't like to offer games here, if it would be only the "empty" wrapper it would be no problem but this will include the games mostly because i'm not sure anymore if DOOM natively supports the GUS or if that is a patched version, if i remember this right it is a patched version - i'm getting old, a possibility would be to link it with one of my clips and redirect you to YT, kinda "please watch...").
Also for a while i thought about to upload it to the archive and it will stay there as long as no one intervenes.

DOOM is widely spread, but restriction is restriction and i don't like to share games here.

For the rest of interested folks, i will offer the wrapper in my thread "pimp my dos game" (preferably but i don't know yet) without the games which would mean you would have to care yourself where to get the game from.

OK
keep an eye on my clips of DOOM...

Last edited by Stiletto on 2020-04-23, 02:35. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 7, by Gernot66

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Another possibility is you use the attached cfg files for doom, just copy GUS.CFG to DEFAULT.CFG in the games directory, DOOM has to be setup for the GUS to make it work, no big deal as you can see when you examine the CFG files. In the attached GUS.CFG only the midi port changes its address the digital SFX will be played back by the Soundblaster.
Yes you could have more SFX at a time running with the GUS as with the SB, on the other hand if i use GUS and SB i can set the volume much lower for the SFX which isn't possible else because you can only change volume for the GUS in general and not separate for music and SFX, unfortunately the GUS is quite silent in DOSBox and when you make it louder the SFX will be louder as well , a matter of choice but the goal is that all possible sound setups have the same loudness in the end that you can keep the settings in the cfg for all the same. DOOM II is identical and uses a identical CFG file (except that the setup for SB offers more simultaneous SFX as for DOOM). Of course Address and IRQ must fit to DOSBox.cfg, i.e. if your GUS has Address 240 and IRQ 11 then the GUS.CFG must reflect this as well (NOTE: in GUS.CFG addresses are decimal numbers 240 hex is 576 in decimal numbers). The attached ZIP contains CFG files for; GUS, SBFM and MPU.

Personally and when you decide to lookout for my "all in one wonder" i use all setups and decide before i play which sound setup i like to have, which will range from fluidsynth and a soundfont over default MSWS to GUS, GUS MegaEm and finally SBFM
The SBFM isn't really bad, it has its own charms and somehow i like the FM sound, it's very "computerish".
(it's still in the dock i decided to add a small SFX toy which let's you playback all SFX of DOOM and DOOM II, i extracted it using ANX GAP)

https://youtu.be/LErTqwJms3A (DOOM SFX TABLE)
or
https://youtu.be/pMJX9RoUzT8 (DOOM SFX TABLE RANDOM PLAYBACK FREQUENCY)

Attachments

• Filename
    DOOM_CFG.zip
    File size
    2.21 KiB
    Downloads
    132 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception