VOGONS

First post, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am unable to run the non-interactive demo versions of two Westwood Studios games: Hand of Fate and Lands of Lore. I'm not sure if this is caused by the same issue or not but was reluctant to create separate threads (sorry if that's a problem!).

My DOSBox is configured to run real mode stuff at 7800 cycles and protected mode limited to 26800 cycles, with core set to auto. I tried to lower the cycle count for real mode but it did not help. I also tried third-party DOSBox builds like SVN Daum but to no effect.

Other Westwood demos work fine, including the non-playable demo of Kyrandia 1, the intro demo of Lands of Lore, and a playable CD demo of the latter (the non-playable demo that doesn't work is supposed to show gameplay).

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 1 of 3, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Use a cputype=386 setting. Initial release versions of Lands of Lore are also affected. It is a bug in the game code that emerges on later processors; but Westwood fixed it at some point. FYI, the default cputype=auto setting detects as something 486-ish. 😉

Reply 3 of 3, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

JIC anyone finds this interesting, the same solution (set machine emulation to 386) worked for the non-playable demo of Eye of the Beholder III.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games