User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Machine: HP Laptop 15-DB0XXX
Processor: AMD A6-9225 Radeon R4, 5 core 2.60 gh
memory: 4G RAM

DosBox version 0.74-3

Windows 10

I am trying to run Forgotten Realms: Eye of the Beholder III in Dosbox and having trouble. When I run the game, I got a "could not open output file for translation:" error. When I first ran the install from the cd, I got an illegal operation error with xcopy, so I copied the files to the drive and was able to install from there. I searched the forums and found this post: Eye of the Beholder 3 problem - Aesop/32 issue? but the solution was to run on another OS. I have tried it on another emulator using dos and/or Windows 98, and character creation works. I am assuming the rest of the game is okay. I would prefer not to use multiple emulators for one or two games each. Any ideas?

Reply 4 of 7, by Cluelessnoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kolderman wrote on 2019-12-30, 01:55:

Not missing much :p

I heard that. Someone on another website said it was written just to give the fans another game or to end the series and TSR did not have anything to do with it. I have it so I may as well try it for myself.

Reply 5 of 7, by Cluelessnoob

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I found this thread, Eye of the Beholder III & Aesop 32 which suggests a patch. I ran it but got a "translating savegame\items_00.txt to savegame\items_00.bin" message then the original message. I then reinstalled and repatched but got a "translating savegame\items_00.txt to savegame\items_00.bin" message, then an "error: resource script 'eye.res' initialization failed" error. I checked the directory and the eye.res file was not there. So I reinstalled, copied the eye.res file to the root directory, repatched and copied the eye.res file. I tried again, still getting the original message. As a side note: When running Menzoberranzan installed from the original disk, I got the same message. It turns out I had left the Menzoberranzan disk out and it should be run from the disk. I tried running Eye of the Beholder with the disk in but still get the error. Any ideas?

Reply 6 of 7, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Works fine for me installed straight from the original disks.

screen2.jpg
Filename
screen2.jpg
File size
205.4 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
screen1.jpg
Filename
screen1.jpg
File size
201.98 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I didn't do anything I installed from the disks, setup, and ran. I don't know about the CD version which must have come much later.