VOGONS

Need help with Batman games in DOSBox

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wanna be able to correctly run every Batman game made for DOS in DOSBox. That means:
1. Batman: The Caped Crusader
2. Batman: The Movie
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman Forever: The Arcade Game

1. The Caped Crusader appears to run perfectly. The only problem is I can't figure out the controls or what to do!
2. I don't think the sound is working correctly for Batman The Movie, and again I can't figure out the controls.
3. Batman Returns runs too fast! What's the recommended cycles setting for it?
4. Batman Forever also runs too fast, so I need another recommended cycles setting.
5. Batman Forever Arcade runs pretty much golden.

Can anyone here help me with the issues I just mentioned?

Reply 1 of 6, by AvalonH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WarMasterXX wrote on 2020-03-22, 12:11:
I wanna be able to correctly run every Batman game made for DOS in DOSBox. That means: 1. Batman: The Caped Crusader 2. Batman: […]
Show full quote

I wanna be able to correctly run every Batman game made for DOS in DOSBox. That means:
1. Batman: The Caped Crusader
2. Batman: The Movie
3. Batman Returns
4. Batman Forever
5. Batman Forever: The Arcade Game

1. The Caped Crusader appears to run perfectly. The only problem is I can't figure out the controls or what to do!
2. I don't think the sound is working correctly for Batman The Movie, and again I can't figure out the controls.
3. Batman Returns runs too fast! What's the recommended cycles setting for it?
4. Batman Forever also runs too fast, so I need another recommended cycles setting.
5. Batman Forever Arcade runs pretty much golden.

Can anyone here help me with the issues I just mentioned?

1. Batman the Caped Crusader included a instruction guide on the Dos version, I have attached it below. It only supports Pc speaker for sound though (I thought it also supported tandy sound when I played it last).

2. Batman The Movie also only supports PC Speaker so if that is the only sound you are getting it is working as normal. I have the original instruction manual for this and will attach it later if I can find it.

The Atari ST/Amiga versions of Batman the Caped Crusader are much better than the Dos one if you want the best version of that game.
With Batman The Movie, the Amiga version is by far the best version compared to the Atari ST and DOS ports.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 6, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@AvalonH: Thanks for the help! Now that you mention that, I'm actually gonna teach myself Amiga emulation and give Batman The Caped Crusader, Batman The Movie, and Batman Returns a shot on the Amiga...

Now if I can just get the correct cycle settings for Batman Returns and Batman Forever DOS...

Reply 3 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
WarMasterXX wrote on 2020-03-24, 23:02:

Now if I can just get the correct cycle settings for Batman Returns and Batman Forever DOS...

There's no real way of knowing. When the game was originally released, people with slower computers just had to play the game more slowly than people with faster computers. You pretty much just have to guess what the developers thought was appropriate.

Reply 4 of 6, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just got the big box of Batman Forever yesterday and set it up in DOSBox instantly. It should run fine with default settings, at least it does on my PC:

core      = auto
cputype = auto
cycles = auto

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 5 of 6, by WarMasterXX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, I just acquired the disk images for "Batman: The Caped Crusader", "Batman: The Movie", and "Batman Returns" LEGALLY from the Internet Archive.

I was able to install Batman Returns with no issues, but I'm definitely gonna need cracks for the other two, and I can't find them anywhere on the Internet. I spent an entire hour looking for them just now. You guys think you can help me out? If you don't wanna post the cracks in this forum you can at least send them to me via PM...

Reply 6 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think you can download games still under copyright that aren't owned by the Internet Archive LEGALLY but I haven't checked the copyright status of those games so who knows mabye the owners released the games, mabye IA bought the rights somehow I doubt either.

Closed

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline