VOGONS

First post, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I shifted all of the files/folders from an old CD-ROM game onto my C:\ drive as when I tried to install the game via CD-ROM, I could not get the installation to work. Now, after mounting to the proper drive, I get the game installation to work, but it fails a few steps in when it tells me my drive has 0 bytes of free disk space, which is obviously not true. FYI, a full installation of the game is only 78mb.

I've searched around and tried mounting with the -freespace 1024 command added, but when I run the installer again, I get the same message about there being no disk space available. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like I'm right on the cusp of getting this game to actually work and it's very frustrating.

I've attached a screenshot of where I am getting stuck. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IYH.png
    Filename
    IYH.png
    File size
    11.25 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 22, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The box says you selected drive Z for installation. Drive Z is for DOSBox commands and no program is ever supposed to be able to write there.

Why don't you tell us exactly what "mount" commands you are using before you get to this step?

Reply 2 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Drive Z is the only option given during the installation process. The mount command I use is as follows:

mount c c:\IYH -freespace 1024

I've tried this with and without the freespace portion, just FYI. IYH is the name of the folder on my C drive that contains the game files. Once I enter the mount command, I then type in C: and it changes to the C: prompt and then I type INSTALL and it begins the installation, as seen from the screenshot.

Reply 3 of 22, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I think it would be best to go back to trying to install with the CD-ROM; there are probably some easily-corrected details that prevent it from working.

Please list ALL commands used when trying to install from the CD-ROM.

Reply 4 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

See attached for a screenshot of the commands used for the CD-ROM and what happens next. I can't even get the installation for the game to begin. As you'll see, the message I get is a bit cut off but you should be able to read what it says. No idea why it's doing that.

Attachments

• IYH.png
    Filename
    IYH.png
    File size
    13.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 6 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2020-06-06, 22:30:

You have to mount a directory or drive where you want to install the game to as well as mounting the original CD to install from.

Any sense of what code I should be typing to do this? Or what order the commands should be in? First time really trying any of this, especially from a CD-ROM.

Reply 8 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-06-06, 23:11:
mount c c:\dosgames mount d d:\ -t cdrom d: install […]
Show full quote

mount c c:\dosgames
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
d:
install

See attached for screenshot. This didn't work. I tried the dosgames directory mounting, but realized it probably didn't work because I don't have a folder by that name. The folder I had dragged from the disc onto my C: drive is called IYH, so I tried it that way and it mounted, then I tried the D: drive line to mount the CD-ROM and you see the error I received.

Attachments

• IYH2.png
    Filename
    IYH2.png
    File size
    3.79 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 22, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yes, you have to create the folder you are mounting as the C: drive, but note that the installer will create a subfolder for the game to be installed into, so mounting a folder named after the game doesn't make a lot of sense.

You didn't get the error message when mounting the real D: drive as a CD-ROM before, so you must have some other mount commands you aren't showing. You can type the command "mount" without parameters to get a list of all mountings.

Reply 10 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-06-06, 23:26:

Yes, you have to create the folder you are mounting as the C: drive, but note that the installer will create a subfolder for the game to be installed into, so mounting a folder named after the game doesn't make a lot of sense.

You didn't get the error message when mounting the real D: drive as a CD-ROM before, so you must have some other mount commands you aren't showing. You can type the command "mount" without parameters to get a list of all mountings.

I did finally get the installation to work! I even then loaded the initial game screen up with various options to calibrates controls and such, but when I went to actually load the game, unfortunately, it took me back to the DOS prompt with the attached message. 🙁

Attachments

• IYH3.png
    Filename
    IYH3.png
    File size
    13.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 11 of 22, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It is usually necessary to mount all drives the same way when running the game as when you installed the game. If, for example, you don't mount the CD-ROM when running the game then it would not be surprising to see the kind of errors you're getting.

BTW, there is a post in the guides section of the forum called the "60 seconds guide", I suggest you absorb that info, it can help avoid common beginner mistakes.

Reply 12 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-06-06, 23:59:

It is usually necessary to mount all drives the same way when running the game as when you installed the game. If, for example, you don't mount the CD-ROM when running the game then it would not be surprising to see the kind of errors you're getting.

BTW, there is a post in the guides section of the forum called the "60 seconds guide", I suggest you absorb that info, it can help avoid common beginner mistakes.

Oh, I did. Ran the same mount commands, first mounting the C: drive, then the D: drive for the CD-ROM... then switching to C: (as it wants the game to run from the folder it was installed to), and that's when I end up with the message above. I feel like it's this one last step where I'm going wrong with something.

Reply 14 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-06-07, 00:22:

Please list ALL commands you use to run the game.

mount c c:\WWFIYH\ACCLAIM (that's where the EXE is to launch the game, I've also tried just the regular WWFIYH main folder, to no avail)

(followed by...)

mount c d:\ -t cdrom

C:

cd WWFIYH

WWFIYH.exe

Now, I wind up with the attached error message. Mind you, the CD-ROM is still connected, and I had done a full install earlier, not a partial one, when prompted.

Attachments

• IYH4.png
    Filename
    IYH4.png
    File size
    7.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 16 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-06-07, 00:50:
Jason1082 wrote on 2020-06-07, 00:38:

mount c d:\ -t cdrom

mount D d:\ -t cdrom

Just did that and here's the message I got.

Attachments

• IYH5.png
    Filename
    IYH5.png
    File size
    6.59 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 18 of 22, by Jason1082

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2020-06-07, 01:06:

I've asked you to list ALL commands that you use, please continue doing so.

My apologies.

mount c c:\WWFIYH\ACCLAIM

C:

cd WWFIYH

WWFIYH.exe

Reply 19 of 22, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I mentioned before that it is important to keep the mountings the same for running the game as they were for installing the game:

Jason1082 wrote on 2020-06-07, 01:17:

mount c c:\WWFIYH\ACCLAIM

That does not seem likely to be what you mounted for the C: drive when you installed, because the ACCLAIM directory would have been created by the installer.

It's difficult for me to guess what things you've mistakenly changed, but this seems more like how it should be:

mount c c:\WWFIYH
C:
cd \ACCLAIM\WWFIYH
WWFIYH