VOGONS

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi. I just found out about this program today, and I'm having a great deal of difficulty with it. Tends to happen when your not as pc savvy as other people are.

First off, I have it down (finally) to understanding most of wiki's help page for newbies (btw thanks for your hard work) but I am stuck on getting wiz7 to work on here.

Heres the deal (to try and help you help me)

Finally got the thing to work so far after entering the following

"mount c c:\oldgames"
"c:"
"cd dsavant"

Now by this time, it should obviously say "C:\DSAVANT>" right?
Well now I'm trying to do the exe thing, and it keeps either crashing or just not working. You know how you get those two little windows (but your more or less typing in the one?) well the one you don't type in started generating a list saying Write 0 to blah blah, and then the first box you type in, the very top line of text (set in the program, not my lines) goes blank and it just stays there. Nothing happens, it freezes up and if I go to click the "x" button, it gives me this error about not being able to read the files (and yes I checked my folder, it is not on read only) or it just closes and says nothing. That error message shows up 1/2 of the time.

I've been looking through the pages so far, and haven't seen anything like my problems working the program. Well, more like not having the same problems I'm having, and the answers given didn't seem to work for me.
Maybe its the case of it just not wanting to work, but then why would a fellow Wiz8 gamer send me to this site in false hopes? I doubt its that.

Please help me if you can, fellow gamers.... I've been trying to find a way of playing this game for over 10 years now (at least I think its been 10 years) and I'm so very heartbroken that I haven't been able to find one program to work (until hopefully today).
Just goes to show when you move around too much, how much you appreciate the simpler times of vegging out *laughs*

Is it I'm just too new (pc wise) to work this program or is it I'm not able to run it at all?

Motherboard - Honestly I don't know
Processor type and speed - Intel Pentium 3 Processor 930MHz
Amount and type of RAM - 256MB
Video board w/ RAM amount and type - I don't know
Sound board - I don't know
Operating system - WinXP
Game name (and version, if applicable) - Wizardry 7
Description of problem - Read above
Reproducibility of problem - every time I try to run it
Sound mode used - n/a
Video mode - i don't know
Version of emulator 0.6.3
Steps already attempted to solve the problem - I followed all I could until I hit the snag from the read me files and that helpful beginner post. It is still not working, and I'm very confused. Please help!

Keonandra

Yahoo ID:Keonandra
Email : Keonandra@livejournal.com

Oh and btw, I did try to make an account, but for some reason after pressing submit, it just wouldn't open a new page up. Hence me listing my yahoo ID and my email.

Reply 3 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

again.. I go too quickly for myself. cannot get an account to work for me here, so thats just a side issue of mine, but still cannot (and after re-reading any and all read me files) i still cannot get this to work at all. Not just properly, just at all!
I'm getting frustrated, and I'm sorry I am being impatient for help, its just been 10 years, and I'm sure you guys can sympathize (well to a point) on where this is all coming from....
I'll check on this site tomorrow. (yes a bit soon i know) but never know. it is the weekend...

Keo

Reply 4 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … er=W&search=wiz

Looks like it was broken in 0.61. I don't know since I do not have the game.

Have you tried switching to full core?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 25, by Guest

User metadata

Full core?

I am sorry but I am totally clueless on what you mean by that.
If you mean by installing the game with the full install choice, then yes I did that. No clue whats wrong beyond that. (lol I go to copy paste my post here into my livejournal and already a response, talk about cute)

Reply 6 of 25, by Keonandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Finally a name for me is working... Beyond that, I found a very new and interesting problem. I understand in the read me files it says to make sure that you have the 'read only' files unchecked and apply them to all folders/subs, etc...
Well, I'm finding that for some unforseen reason, i uncheck it, apply, press okay, and doublecheck to see if it works and the read only is checked again... Any clues on how to fix that problem now?

Keo

Reply 7 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a windows "feature". Don't right-click on the main folder. Go into the folder, highlight everything, right-click on the highlight area, go to properties, then uncheck read-only. You can also do this via command line but since you were already doing it via GUI......

As for changing dosbox to full core.

Open up your dosbox.conf file and look for the line:

core=

You can choose these options: simple,normal,full,dynamic.

In your case change it to full for full compatibility. If you wish more speed and less compatibility then choos dynamic.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 8 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
DosFreak wrote:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … er=W&search=wiz
Looks like it was broken in 0.61. I don't know since I do not have the game.
Have you tried switching to full core?

Wizardry 7 has *ALWAYS* worked ok (well, there was a problem with "Pentium" patch crashing it - not sure whether it still exists - better do not use it).
I tested the game yesterday and it was ok
Only known problem are sound effects when using SoundBlaster (use PC Speaker for sound effects).
Remember that the game must be installed before using it (I think that CD version uses apart from the game directory also c:\WIZ-CD). This is a BAT installation script from the abandonware version I use:

MD C:\WIZ-CD
MD C:\WIZ-CD\7
COPY PCFILE.DBS C:\WIZ-CD\7\*.*>NUL
COPY SCENARIO.HDR C:\WIZ-CD\7\*.*>NUL
VINSTALL.EXE

I will correct the nonsense about "not working" in the game database.

Mirek

Reply 9 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm currently playing Wizardry 6 and 7 under DOSBox 0.63 and CVS and they work. There are sound glitches (PC speaker has popping sounds and Sound Blaster or Adlib sounds totally wrong).

Also, if you have an old floppy version instead of the Ultimate Wizardry Archive version, you can try the update patches from http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ (this is a great site for anyone who doesn't know about it BTW!)

mirekluza: I thought I already made entries in the compatability database for both games, listing them as
working but with sound glitches (since 0.61 or so). Did someone clobber my entries?

Reply 10 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
HunterZ wrote:

mirekluza: I thought I already made entries in the compatability database for both games, listing them as
working but with sound glitches (since 0.61 or so). Did someone clobber my entries?

There was a comment in the Wizardry 7 entry that it does not work in 0.61. I deleted that comment. I did not check any other entries.

Mirek

Reply 11 of 25, by Keonandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
It's a windows "feature". Don't right-click on the main folder. Go into the folder, highlight everything, right-click on the hig […]
Show full quote

It's a windows "feature". Don't right-click on the main folder. Go into the folder, highlight everything, right-click on the highlight area, go to properties, then uncheck read-only. You can also do this via command line but since you were already doing it via GUI......

As for changing dosbox to full core.

Open up your dosbox.conf file and look for the line:

core=

You can choose these options: simple,normal,full,dynamic.

In your case change it to full for full compatibility. If you wish more speed and less compatibility then choos dynamic.

Heres an odd thing for ya. Doing the way I meantioned earlier keeps it continually going to read only anyways. Doing it your way? Shows that its NOT read only! Now this is confusing 🤣. Attempting the full core though, maybe that will be the ticket. Will update once I've tried it *hopefully* successfully..

Reply 12 of 25, by Keonandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:
I'm currently playing Wizardry 6 and 7 under DOSBox 0.63 and CVS and they work. There are sound glitches (PC speaker has popping […]
Show full quote

I'm currently playing Wizardry 6 and 7 under DOSBox 0.63 and CVS and they work. There are sound glitches (PC speaker has popping sounds and Sound Blaster or Adlib sounds totally wrong).

Also, if you have an old floppy version instead of the Ultimate Wizardry Archive version, you can try the update patches from http://www.patches-scrolls.de/ (this is a great site for anyone who doesn't know about it BTW!)

I am using the floppy version (I'm shocked I didn't say that earlier.. at least I think I didn't) and when going to the patch site you provided, it showed no patch existing for wiz7. Very odd. *laughs* I'm starting to wonder if I'm destined not to play the game again (which of course would be horrible heh)

Reply 13 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here:
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … pent.zip&ref=ps
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/patdl.cgi?lang=eng&sys … atch.zip&ref=ps

I bet you were searching for Wizardry 7 instead of Wizardry VII. I just searched for Wizardry.

Where are you at in getting it to work now? I'm lost!

Reply 14 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I updated both the version support and comments for Wizardry 6 and 7 in the DOSBox compatability list:

Wiz 6: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … ID=168&letter=W
Wiz 7: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … wID=71&letter=W

In honor of my current Wizardry kick, I've updated my sig 😀

Reply 15 of 25, by Keonandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I've d/led the patch, and the things working (except sound) which I'm sure will be an issue. Now theres a new problem *laughs* I had forgotten about the games 'security feature'. I'm aparently missing how to do this, going to the page, paragraph and word, line, etc... Is there an online quick list? Otherwise I'm gonna be trial and error-ing this like mad and I rather just play it 🤣
Btw, thank you again Hunter2 for those patch links 😁

Reply 16 of 25, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator
Keonandra wrote:

Okay, I've d/led the patch, and the things working (except sound) which I'm sure will be an issue. Now theres a new problem *laughs* I had forgotten about the games 'security feature'. I'm aparently missing how to do this, going to the page, paragraph and word, line, etc... Is there an online quick list? Otherwise I'm gonna be trial and error-ing this like mad and I rather just play it 🤣

Good.
a) Sound - it works as written above (SB music is ok - the intro music is really so bad as it sounds 😀 ). For sound effects use PC Speaker (ok, just with popping when starting sound).
b) passwords - NOT HERE - if you look on net, I am sure you will find a crack... BUT DO NOT EVEN ASK ABOUT IT HERE! We do not like things like that here ...

Mirek

Reply 17 of 25, by Keonandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Er scratch that *laughs* I'm just waking up *which means I shouldn't post til I am fully awake here, i'm sorry* i confused sentence with line >< hehehe. Simple mistake. Its working now guys (beyond sound but I can figure that out later if that needs to be a problem for me 😉) Thank you all so much again for your help 😀 I'm gonna get my sister to play this game (and her other pc games). She said something about wanting to play might & magic. Thanks to you guys, she can.
*big virtual hugs for all*
Again, thank you so much ^^

~Keo

Reply 18 of 25, by Keonandra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mirekluza wrote:
Good. a) Sound - it works as written above (SB music is ok - the intro music is really so bad as it sounds :-) ). For sound ef […]
Show full quote
Keonandra wrote:

Good.
a) Sound - it works as written above (SB music is ok - the intro music is really so bad as it sounds 😀 ). For sound effects use PC Speaker (ok, just with popping when starting sound).
b) passwords - NOT HERE - if you look on net, I am sure you will find a crack... BUT DO NOT EVEN ASK ABOUT IT HERE! We do not like things like that here ...

Mirek

Reply 19 of 25, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keonandra: Just set the sound effects to PC Speaker, as several people have mentioned several times already.

Actually, I've been running in Roland mode with Munt installed - the music sounds pretty good.

mirekluza: I'm glad I'm not the only one with the popping sounds - I thought maybe I was crazy or cursed 😉