Sound Driver Pack

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 81, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Akuma wrote on 2020-09-24, 14:29:

Is there a way to create a table in the forum ?
(I feel like a bit of a moron pasting it in like that)

There is/was a BBCode "table" tag, but I don't think our version of the forum software allows for it.

People have used "CodeBlocks" (as some people call it) though. Example: TSENG ET6000 vs ET6100 vs ARK2000 on Tualatin 1400-1750MHz

It's literally a block of text wrapped in "code" tags, with spaces to space out the rows and columns. Anything wrapped in code tags becomes fixed-width. I'm not sure if there's some page that helps you generate them.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 21 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stiletto wrote on 2020-10-08, 16:38:

There is/was a BBCode "table" tag, but I don't think our version of the forum software allows for it.

People have used "CodeBlocks" (as some people call it) though. Example: TSENG ET6000 vs ET6100 vs ARK2000 on Tualatin 1400-1750MHz

It's literally a block of text wrapped in "code" tags, with spaces to space out the rows and columns. Anything wrapped in code tags becomes fixed-width. I'm not sure if there's some page that helps you generate them.

Thanks, then I will paste it in , I feel less moronic now 😁

Reply 23 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Added four more games:
2020-12-03 Added: Oscar (1993) Flair Software Ltd.
2020-12-03 Added: Starfire (1992) Silver Lightning Software
2020-12-03 Added: Luigi & Spaghetti (1992) to CT-VOICE.DRV
2020-12-03 Added: BreakIn (1993) to CT-VOICE.DRV

EDIT: Found more 😁

Reply 26 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Calvero wrote on 2020-12-08, 18:21:
Akuma wrote on 2020-12-03, 13:23:

2020-12-03 Added: Oscar (1993) Flair Software Ltd.

What about the very similar game Trolls?

Checked it , but CT-VOICE wasn't there.

But 'wow' that AdLib music is really something 😁

EDIT:

Hidden in the TROLLS.EXE executable 🤣

2 BE OR NOT PC
This game was written on a very slow schneider 10mhz 286 with lots of wait states If for some reason on your very fast xxxx 25mh 486 this game seems to be fast or unplayable , do no blame us for it was a penny pinching boss who would not buy us reasonable pc's to work on.

signed

THE PROGRAMMERS OF FLAIR SOFTWARE

Reply 27 of 81, by krcroft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What a find, Akuma!
Easter eggs like this a rare glimpse into behind the scenes; I find them very interesting 😀
Anyone know of other "communication" type messages in other DOS games? (Feels like this could deserve its own thread!)

Reply 29 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
krcroft wrote on 2020-12-08, 22:08:

What a find, Akuma!
Easter eggs like this a rare glimpse into behind the scenes; I find them very interesting 😀
Anyone know of other "communication" type messages in other DOS games? (Feels like this could deserve its own thread!)

Calvero pointed to a website that covers that 😁

Calvero wrote on 2020-12-08, 22:21:

"2 BE OR NOT PC" is part of the Level Select cheat.

Yay!

Reply 30 of 81, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Walls of Bratock wants both CT-VOICE.DRV for sound effects/speech and SBFMDRV.COM for FM music. I used the unpatched CT-VOICE.DRV from 2.12/SBP/CT-VOICE.DRV (5,108 bytes) and sbtype=sbpro1 to run it in DOSBox v0.74-3.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 31 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-02-16, 11:59:

The Walls of Bratock wants both CT-VOICE.DRV for sound effects/speech and SBFMDRV.COM for FM music. I used the unpatched CT-VOICE.DRV from 2.12/SBP/CT-VOICE.DRV (5,108 bytes) and sbtype=sbpro1 to run it in DOSBox v0.74-3.

Added to the list, thank you for the contribution.

Does it work with the patched ct-voice for SB16 v3.07 ?
(then you wont have to set the sbtype)

Reply 32 of 81, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Akuma wrote on 2021-02-19, 20:09:

Does it work with the patched ct-voice for SB16 v3.07 ?
(then you wont have to set the sbtype)

Simply replacing the driver did not work either in v0.74-3 or in a recent SVN build that I have:
iUNIIiu.png
I guess you either need to add those other drivers to CONFIG.SYS? If so then it's easier to use the older driver and set sbtype via config -set command.

BTW, you can also add Flame Storm which is the sequel to Walls of Bratock and uses a similar sound system.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 33 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes the v3.x drivers do not seem to work for some reason.
There are multiple combinations possible with the SoundDriverPack,
but its hit and miss.

This is another one that works:
1. Create a directory DRV inside the gamefolder
2. Copy SBFMDRV.COM/1.34/SB15-SB20-MVC20/SBFMDRV.COM into DRV
3. Copy CT-VOICE.DRV/1.14/SB15/CT-VOICE.DRV into DRV
4. Make a batch file and run it.

SET SOUND=.
DRV\SBFMDRV.COM
BRATOCK.EXE

Added Flame Storm to the list, thanks

Reply 34 of 81, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Some points about CT-VOICE.DRV:

The 3.x drivers won't initialize in DOSBox 0.74(-3), but that issue has been fixed in SVN. They work in SVN for Innocent Until Caught with sbtype=sb16, regardless of whether you use irq=5 or irq=7. Walls of Bratock won't work with the 3.x drivers because they are relatively large -- the game leaves only 8K of memory available to load the driver.

It appears the DOSBox-patched copy of 3.07 in the pack is identical to the original copy, i.e. not patched. Oversight, or it's supposed to be that way? I'm not sure the convenience of the patched copies outweighs the potential confusion about which is patched and which is original. After all, DOSBox does have a setting for the SB IRQ.

The 4.x drivers will not work with DOSBox's internal DOS emulation because they need other drivers (e.g. CTMMSYS.SYS), but will work if the other drivers are correctly loaded in CONFIG.SYS when real DOS is booted.

Reply 35 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-02-21, 21:21:

Some points about CT-VOICE.DRV:

The 3.x drivers won't initialize in DOSBox 0.74(-3), but that issue has been fixed in SVN. They work in SVN for Innocent Until Caught with sbtype=sb16, regardless of whether you use irq=5 or irq=7. Walls of Bratock won't work with the 3.x drivers because they are relatively large -- the game leaves only 8K of memory available to load the driver.

Yes, most games discard the default driver settings, but there are some exceptions (SF2 iirc).
Is there any indication why the driver grew in size that much ?

It appears the DOSBox-patched copy of 3.07 in the pack is identical to the original copy, i.e. not patched. Oversight, or it's supposed to be that way? I'm not sure the convenience of the patched copies outweighs the potential confusion about which is patched and which is original. After all, DOSBox does have a setting for the SB IRQ.

That's on purpose 😁 Except for the files that already used DOSBox's default settings, 220h,irq7, everything else in the DOSBox folder has been patched. Some of the games use those settings and are silent if not patched.

The 4.x drivers will not work with DOSBox's internal DOS emulation because they need other drivers (e.g. CTMMSYS.SYS), but will work if the other drivers are correctly loaded in CONFIG.SYS when real DOS is booted.

Then I don't see any benefits using a 4.x driver, is that a correct assumption ?

Reply 36 of 81, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Akuma wrote on 2021-02-22, 10:25:

Is there any indication why the driver grew in size that much ?

Perhaps additional functions not used by most games, such as playing 16-bit VOC files, but I haven't investigated.

Akuma wrote on 2021-02-22, 10:25:

Then I don't see any benefits using a 4.x driver, is that a correct assumption ?

There is probably no benefit, at least not in DOSBox. Creative may have decided on the driver interdependence to give broad coverage for the enhanced sound processing (ASP, CSP, QSound) of their later soundcards, but those features likely require hardware support that is not emulated in DOSBox.

Reply 37 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

All right then I will focus more on the v1.x and v2.x drivers, although I don't think there is a one size fits all. But the most compatible is the v1.x as it works also with the sb16, but this is not always the case 😒

Thanks for the pointers ripsaw8080

Added: One Must Fall 2097 (1993)(Demo) to CT-VOICE.DRV

Reply 38 of 81, by breech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Using EverythingSearch on my collection I came across these, I hope it helps.

Burntime ct-voice.drv 8b2e8c6a
Jetpack ct-voice.drv 63c62014
Premier Manager (1992) ct-voice.drv 43b37030
Rock'N Roller ct-voice.drv 5ba6df77
Lillehammer '94 ct-voice.drv dfaaed0a
Rock'N Roller sbfmdrv.com 21bc4a27
Universal Warrior / The Machines sbfmdrv.com 69669b9d
Pizza Tycoon SBFMDRV.COM renamed to SOUND.COM 69669b9d
Violent Myth ct-voice.drv seems to be renamed to voice.drv 5ba6df77

Other finds,
Rangerfox - ct-voice.drv may be embedded?
Miami Vice also has sound.com but may not require it
Koei used their own FMDRV.COM, theres a few versions of that.

Reply 39 of 81, by Akuma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
breech wrote on 2021-02-27, 01:22:

Using EverythingSearch on my collection I came across these, I hope it helps.

Would have done it sooner, but somehow I overlooked your post.

Nice list 😁, thank you very much.
Added and credited.